• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is happy hutch fox proof wire..

CLAREM1

Warren Scout
trying to decide if its best to let the buns have 24 hr access to their run or keep them in the hutch part over night ?

The fox proofing of different hutches depends on the type of mesh and how it is fitted in. Whilst I would love to say that yours is fox proof, without actually seeing it in person I dont think anyone would be able to say that it is fox proof.

thanks

its a sykes combo from happy hutch - would you think its best for them to be in the hutch part at night then its got padlocks ?

I think so :D

Foxes can't chew through wire, they tend to break door catches or pull the wire off at a corner if it's only fixed to the wood with staples.

Best thing to do is to check that the wire is well nailed on (if not, you can reinforce it with fencing staples from the DIY store) and also fit some bolts to the door.

Thanks

I think so :D

Foxes can't chew through wire, they tend to break door catches or pull the wire off at a corner if it's only fixed to the wood with staples.

Best thing to do is to check that the wire is well nailed on (if not, you can reinforce it with fencing staples from the DIY store) and also fit some bolts to the door.

I am driving my OH mental panicking I've had a look and the wire is on the inside of the frame and has lots of sturdy looking staples all the way around a no rogue corners I fitted wire and hasp fittings padlocks today to all the openings and doors, now all I have to panick about is them falling down the ramp in the dark......

mine have access to their same sized run (hutch is over the top type - bit like a double hutch) - but I cover it all with rugs, even in summer, put nursery fireguards (from Argos) around and over the top, weight it all down with bricks and binbags, and generally make it difficult for a fox - plus I disinfect the patio last thing too, so there's no tempting bunny smell lingering.

I thought ours was well secured and have been putting bricks to weight everything down as well as clips etc but somehow a fox or something managed to break the whole side of the run and got our lovely Rolo...we are so devastated. Cookie look absolutely lost and from now on I'm afraid Cookie is going to be locked in the hutch itself every night. For a year and a half now they have been able to get into the run as I thought we had done everything possible to secure it, so I guess I just want to say be careful as we are devastated....:cry:

Debbie

s687427983_603989_1049.jpg
Our poor Rolo..RIP

Last edited:
I thought ours was well secured and have been putting bricks to weight everything down as well as clips etc but somehow a fox or something managed to break the whole side of the run and got our lovely Rolo...we are so devastated. Cookie look absolutely lost and from now on I'm afraid Cookie is going to be locked in the hutch itself every night. For a year and a half now they have been able to get into the run as I thought we had done everything possible to secure it, so I guess I just want to say be careful as we are devastated....:cry:

Debbie

s687427983_603989_1049.jpg
Our poor Rolo..RIP

so sorry to hear this Debbie :cry:

Thanks Joe, we are just working on arrangements for tonight. We haven;t really got anything to move Cookie in with tonight and no money at the moment to buy a new indoor cage. The outdoor hutch is huge and too big to bring in so hubby is at wicks and hopefully planning on making a fortress of some sort. I know it's not going to make much difference but we are bringing her right up the garden next to the house too...I don;t think I'll ever trust leavng her in a run, no matter how secure, again.

Deb x

Back