• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i just heard buddy scream!!

mrs*spoon

Warren Scout
ive just been in my garden with buddy on his harness and he was having a really nice time then something spooked him and he bolted and i stupidily ran after him which scared him more. he flipped in the air as i was trying to grab him and him screamed!! it was awful, he got out of his harness and i thought he was going to run out the garden but luckily he didnt. my mum was in the kitchen and saw so she came out and managed to get him.
im so upset, it was awful. ive put him back in his cage and he's lying in his litter tray all quiet.
i wont be taking him out on his harness for a while me thinks now, he can stay in the house!

If he flipped over and screamed it well be that he's hurt himself. Rabbits generally scream only when in SEVERE pain or in extreme terror. If he's lying very quietly I'd check him over and watch him closely for an hour and if it seems that he's unnaturally quiet then he most probably needs a vet to check him over.

ahhh...try not to worry. It's HORRIBLE when they do that because they are scared, and makes you feel so guilty. I have a bunny who always refuses to come back in from the garden and I end up having to round her up (I never chase) but on a few occassions she has screamed as I have tried to pick her up......before I even got the chance to touch her :shock:

She is a particularly neurotic bunny and very hyper. I always try and calm her down after by holding her close and talking to her very gently. I always make sure she knows I'm going to try and pick her up before I do so as if you try and grab when they are in that mindset it just makes them worse.

Oh yes I didn't see the 'flipped over' bit. Definitely make sure that he hasn't hurt himself...

That would have shaken me up abit, I always get worried when animals scream, yelp etc I know one of my pigs only has to have a hair slightly pulled during grooming and she will scream to high heaven and even though i know I havent hurt her, I feel guilty :oops:.

I would just keep an eye on him and if you are worried that he has hurt himself (he's quiet etc) get him checked out by a vet.

Slightly off-topic but are rabbits okay with harnesses? I know Guinea Pigs should never ever be put in one, despite them being commerically avaliable.

Slightly off-topic but are rabbits okay with harnesses? I know Guinea Pigs should never ever be put in one, despite them being commerically avaliable.

I personally wouldn't use a harness.

Is it possible that a run could be built for him, or secure the garden so that he can run free?

the only time ive heard a rabbit scream is when Will was dying.I kept her at home all morning but she got fidgety in pm so thought maybe she had pain,i wanted her to die at home but didnt want her to suffer.She screamed all the way to the vets and died when we got there in my arms.I never want to hear that noise ever again.Crying just rembering it.:cry:

Being on a harness in an open area, with no opportunity to escape to a bolt hole would have made him anxious to start off with.

Personally I wouldn't use the harness on him again, but maybe look at a secure run with hidey holes and tubes in so he can get his exercise, but has the freedom to hide if he wants to.

I hope he's OK now he's scared the life out of you and himself!

If he's still quiet later on maybe he needs to be checked over by the vet to check he hasn't damaged something.

Being on a harness in an open area, with no opportunity to escape to a bolt hole would have made him anxious to start off with.

Personally I wouldn't use the harness on him again, but maybe look at a secure run with hidey holes and tubes in so he can get his exercise, but has the freedom to hide if he wants to.

I hope he's OK now he's scared the life out of you and himself!

If he's still quiet later on maybe he needs to be checked over by the vet to check he hasn't damaged something.

he seems fine now. he's been running around, back and forth in his cage and did a mini binky!! he's ate some kale also!!

i do have a run for him with tunnels and stuff but i just thought it would be nice for him to explore the whole garden!! maybe i wont have him on it again, just stick to the run and the house!

Do keep an eye on him and I hope he recovers soon..but i really do not like harnesses..the feel of them on a buns body is similar to being in the clutches of a bird of prey..easy for the bun to come to harm on them :(

:( Oh no! Luckily, I've never heard either of mine scream, I imagine it's an awful thing to hear.

yeah its horrible. i never heard my old bun scream in over 8years and ive only had buddy about 2 months and hes done it already!! i feel like a bad mother!!

i do keep going and checking he's ok and he's being his greedy self!!

i never thought of a harness feeling to them like a bird was getting hold of them, i really dont think i will use it again then!

I've only ever tried Squidgy with a harness, and he was so wriggly I thought he was going to hurt himself. He wore it for about 2 minutes and then I gave it up as a bad idea.
Hope Buddy's ok.

this is the second time in a month I've heard of someone's rabbit getting into trouble wearing a harness - can you imagine how many this happens to in the UK that we DON'T hear about? they shouldn't sell them :(

this is the second time in a month I've heard of someone's rabbit getting into trouble wearing a harness - can you imagine how many this happens to in the UK that we DON'T hear about? they shouldn't sell them :(

Marble broke his hip in a harness last month, He was in alot of pain for a few weeks and it cost me a few hundred at the vets. Hes better now though but his hip healed in the worng place so will always be week on that leg,

Back