• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What hay do you use? Hay advice needed.

vengeful.veggie

Alpha Buck
I currently use Burgess Supa Forage and buy two bags at a time as they're very small but it's the only hay I've found that smells good, is mostly green, has absoluetly no dust and the buns love it.

I used to use Meadow Hay but no matter where I got it from, it was always filled with dust.

At £2.99 for a very small bag of burgess hay, it proves very expensive when I'm buying hay all the time. I'd like somewhere that I can buy hay cheaply in large, bulkier bags but with the hay still being good quality and with no dust.

What hay do you use? What should I avoid? Hay advice please!

Hi :wave:

I use farm baled hay, but the crops last year were very poor so trying to find a good quality hay at the moment is hard. I also use excel Supa Forage and herbage. I fill their litter trays up with farm hay and give them a few handfuls of forage and herbage each day too. Your forage will last longer that way and I think my bunnies prefer all three kinds. Forage is good but it isn't as coarse as other hays.

I think the dust free hay company or the Hay experts might be of use to you. They aren't really cheap but if you are spending so much on Forage it might be worth checking them out. :)

I use Dust Free Hay with my lot but they are just as happy with the hay I buy from the local feed supplies place. I buy it at £4.50 a bale and it's very good quality.

I found sainsburys sell a lovely green hay[think its by Wagg but not sure]which i use as bedding along with straw so she can nibble on it but use timothy hay as hay rack hay.Give her Naturals grass/hay as special treats.

Most Of Mine Just Eat Normal Meadow Hay But My Two Fussy Bunnies Get Excel Forage Instead.

They Also Get A Bowl Of Readygrass Everyday Too.

Wagg's the brand I used to get from ASDA and it was awfully dusty. The buns are indoors and so only have hay in their rack and litter trays. I could always check the Wagg bags, and if there's a decent one, mix it with the burgess one.

I use meadow hay but Smudge doesn't like it, tried Timothy hay and he doesn't like that either. So I let him out whenever I can to eat grass or dandelions. He just won't eat hay!

i buy the big bags of pure pastures meadow hay, oat wheat and barley hay, brome hay and timothy hay all from the hay experts :D:D

ive also go a lovely bag of green oat hay from burns... almost wish i could eat hay its so nice :oops:

I buy big bales from a horse supplier for £3.50, but they all tend to turn their noses up at that, so that goes in their litter trays.

All of mine scoff the soft and the coarse dust free hay, green oat hay, readigrass and now I've given in and bought them 18kg of timothy which they eat nearly every last bit of.

I spend a fortune on hay 'cos the buns have got fussy - around £300 a year I reckon:oops:

If your rabbits are happy eating good old meadow hay that you can get by the bale for £3 - £4 then stick at that, else before you know it only the best will do and you'll be spending 20 times more than you need to:lol:

If your rabbits are happy eating good old meadow hay that you can get by the bale for £3 - £4 then stick at that, else before you know it only the best will do and you'll be spending 20 times more than you need to:lol:

i found that one out the muppet i am :roll::roll:

Oh for the good old days with a hay bill of around £30 a year....I'd be able to afford to go on holiday again!!

Another lesson learned, alas too late:lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

i started with the tescos cheap stuff with no problems at all.. now its me whos the hay snob not the bunnies... alvin does look with disgust if i dont pile the timothy hay on top of the meadow hay.. pearl dont care she tucks into any new hay put down :love: :love:

youll get to see her again in June (and the many types of hay shell be bringing with her...:lol::lol::lol::lol:)

Are they coming in to board???
Maybe Alvin can have a chomp on my hand as I try to give him a fuss:lol::lol:
I'll look forward to that - I do love stroppy bunnies:D

yup for almost a week :cry::cry:

Lou said shell fit them in ok, but i do feel guilty about her being so busy already but at the same time i want her to see how pearl has blossomed into a right little madam :lol::lol::lol:

wed the 11th so you should deffo see them if your there on the thurs... Alvin doesnt chomp on hands.. honest :)

I get Amercian Timothy from Dust Free Hay (five boxes), big bags of hay and straw from my local pet shop to put on the floor for the bunnies' sore hocks.

Snap

I get Amercian Timothy from Dust Free Hay (five boxes), big bags of hay and straw from my local pet shop to put on the floor for the bunnies' sore hocks.

Bag of straw and hay for bedding and litter trays from pet shop for £1.50 for a big bag and 2 boxes of American Timothy from Dust Free Hay for the Hay rack and play things.

HTH

Back