• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Temporary litter? Help!

vengeful.veggie

Alpha Buck
Well, I usually use non-clumping, wood pellet cat litter in the litter trays for the buns, but when that ran out i decided to use the megazorb that I had for the hamster as there was so much. Well, I'm almost out of the megazorb and I have to clean the hamster out which means there will be none left for the litter trays and I need to clean those too.

I ordered their wood pellets online a few days ago and I've also ordered more megazorb. But of course, the earliest they're going to arrive is tomorrow and I haven't got anything for the buns litter.

What could I use as a temporary solution till the stuff arrives? What do you use? Thanks.

Newpaper? Not the most absorbant thing in the world and needs changing regularly ... but in the interim until your order arrives it will be fine. Presume you have hay?! Thick layer of newspaper in bottom of litter tray, hay on top!

Haha, you know what? I don't even have newspaper! I can't get to the shop either. We have hay, we always have hay.

I have no idea what to do.

I have half a big bag of woodshavings that the hamster used to have but I've since stopped using as apparently pine is bad for them (as it is to bunnies i have heard!).

Could I use that?

I don't see the harm if it's only temporary. Mine were on shavings until I found RU and learnt about megazorb. Put minimal shavings and maximum hay!

a thick layer of newspaper and lots of hay.... it works for the two smaller litter trays i have an no pongs neither :)

oops just saw you have no newspaper.... try just a thick layer of hay until tomorrow

Back