• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New bunny peeing problem

Ark

New Kit
Well, I'm sure it's not a problem to my bun, but it's a problem for me!

My bun is three months old, and lives in a fairly large cage, but I let her out to run around and play when I am home. There is a litter box in the cage that she uses perfectly, but when I let her out of the cage, she jumps up on my bed and pees / poops. I am sure she is just trying to mark the territory, and the bed is probably a comfy place for her to be.

My question is this: is there any way to discourage this behaviour, other than just preventing her from jumping up on the bed? And if that is the only way to ensure my bed stays pee-free, is there any special way to prevent her from going up onto it?

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

:) i know how you feel. think the best thing is to get her spayed, it should stop that.
although we wernt that lucky with shauny (its a constant battle of wills, he loves to wee on our bed).
we try to stop it by havin bun cam on when wr not in the room. but now he just does it when wr asleep in it:rolleyes:.
wr gonna hang like a fly screen and tuck it into the mattress when wr in it lol. but we protect ourselves atm with bin bags on the matress with a sheet over the top, and a washable cover- its a pain. but ilove him being in the same room as us, wakin up in the mornin to his binki's:).
x

this is such a common problem - settees and beds smell strongly of you, so that's where they scentmark. Only thing you can do is barricade the bed off somehow, or I would put a shower curtain on top of it, making sure it was all tucked out of sight and covered by an absorbent towel, then a bedspread, as eating plastic is another problem :roll:

i hate to dishearten you but buns just cant seem to break the habit of peeing on soft furnishings.Will was perfectly housetrained but always christened the bed if i left a door open by mistake.B has a sofa in the room she has free range of and i just cant stop her peeing or pooing on it.I just have to cover it and wash the covers,Shes almost 2.Was really frustrated at first as my last bun was so good and didn't jump on sofa[she was too heavy to jump!]but just learnt to clean well.I even tried facing the sofa against wall when went out but she'd just fly over the back!!!Luckily she only tends to do it in the evenings after eating her veg.

It might sound a little bit gross....but if I leave my bun in my room I put a clean litter tray on top of the bed. She pees in there rather than on the bed. I used to have to put a litter tray on my sofa when my old house bunny was alive!! She was the cleanest bunny in the world but would still insist on peeing on the sofa unless there was a tray there. I used to put it away if anyone came round :oops:

It might sound a little bit gross....but if I leave my bun in my room I put a clean litter tray on top of the bed. She pees in there rather than on the bed. I used to have to put a litter tray on my sofa when my old house bunny was alive!! She was the cleanest bunny in the world but would still insist on peeing on the sofa unless there was a tray there. I used to put it away if anyone came round :oops:

I tried that but she used to either wee next to it or knock tray off sofa!!

Okay, thanks for the feedback.

It's funny because she knows she's not allowed to be on the bed, because any time she jumps up, one look from me and she hops off in a hurry. I would put her in a different room, but there is really only one usable / livable room in the apartment. Guess I'll just have to keep a closer eye on her!

Back