• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dominant female sharing hutch?

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Drusilla, my new/rescue standard black rex, seems to have befriended Orlando, my male neutered netherland dwarf x. He tends to hop in and out of his hutch all day and returns there to sleep each night, with the smallest bit of steering in the right direction. Originally Drusilla was meant to share a shed with the other rescues but they seem slightly wary of her and she's now copying Orlando; I keep finding them together in his hutch. Would it be safe to keep them there together at nights? During the day they can both hop in and out as they like but at night they would actually be shut in.
Any advice appreciated

Nicky

Might it be worth locking them in during the daytime for a few hours to enable you to see how it goes?

I think they are more likely to make a fuss being locked in during the daytime, because rabbits are creatures of habit. If you put 2 of food/water dishes/bottles and a lot of extra hay, they won't have much to fight over at night, and he is already not showing that he's happy to share his territory with her - the only thing that might cause a problem is if she gets fed up with him grooming her or something, and can't get away - how big is the hutch?

When bonding animals it is always best to keep them together rather than to keep splitting them up.

If you are planning to keep them together in the shed overnight I would thoroughly clean it out and then let them spend day time and night together and see what happens.

By spearating them you end up confusing them on their relationship.

Thanks to all. Kept them in hutch and kept checking; no probs so I left them there overnight and this morning two faces side by side looking very happy. They're out in the garden now and hanging out together so hopefully all will be well.

:D

Back