• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding young rabbits

CLAREM1

Warren Scout
Hi there I have 10 week old rabbits they are finally here ! I have been given a weeks supply of their food and I am going to change over gradually over the week to science selectives but I forgot to ask how much they should be having I seem to remember reading that baby rabbits should have unlimited pellets is that correct or not and is science selectives ok for young rabbits?

Thanks

Science Selective is fine.

I would change them over really gradually over 10 days, that way you can keep an eye on any changes.

As to unlimited pellets, I'm never sure myself. I tend to give young rabbits (under 6 months) a few more pellets then I would an adult but you have to make sure they are eating plenty of hay to oor you may end up with teeth problems.

Im not in the ad lib pellets camp but doesn't mean im right :lol:

I give a handful split into two meals a day and ad lib hay, herbs, veg etc (gradually introduce these if not been given from early on).
I go by their weight really, if they are growing and looking 'athletic' I leave their diet as it is, if they start to get plump I reduce the pellets and up the herbs and veggies.
I wean them down to a sprinkle of pellets/none at all at around 6 months :)

Back