• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First time on here, wanting to buy a rabbit.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The hutch you have bought I'm afraid is not really big enough. But you could certainly get round his by attaching a large run to it.

Getting a rescue bunny I think is a great idea. I am sure someone on her will be able to direct you to a rescue which is local to you. With a rescue rabbit they will normally be neutered, vaccinated and the rescue they come from will be able to tell you abou their personality :D

If you did buy from a petshop your new bunny(s) could be mis sexed, have health problems they are unaware of etc etc etc...

Most rescues will have specific requirements in terms of size of accommodation etc. Don't let this put you off - it is purely to ensure the welfare of the rabbit, not to trick you. I believe the recommendation is a 6ft by 2ft hutch with access to a 6ft by 4ft run. A shed or playhouse is also good. You could adapt your hutch by adding say a 6ft by 4ft run to the front.

You should definitely adopt a pair of rabbits. They are sociable animals and do not really like to be alone. Again a rescue centre could advise you as to which rabbits would be most suitble for you.

Good luck in finding your perfect bunnies :D

Hello it's my first time on here and I want to buy a bunny. I bought a hutch on ebay last night, this type (hope this works!)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=220233087215&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=012

We have a 6 month old black lab which we will keep them seperate but will it scare the bunny to even see her running near the hutch?
I was wondering whether it'd be suitable for 1 or 2.
Also I've read about the fly strike and maggots and thats really worried me as I have such a huge fear of creepy crawlies, any way of getting around it?
What types of rabbits are best? I want a friendly one and one that doesn't move to quickly. Also I would prefare a short haired type?
Are there any local rescue centres around here? I live in Runcorn, Cheshire. I know there's a pets at home near us, is that good for selling rabbits if there's no local rescue centres?
I know I need water bottles and feeding bowls but then I get a bit confused over how else is best to set up the cage.
How best should I handle settling a new bunny into its home?
What's best male or female? Also when would be best to neutor them?

Sorry I know it's a lot of questions but I've never had a rabbit or known anyone that does so it's completely all new. I've always wanted one though. Also could you give me any other tips or advice that you think I might need.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Hi,

Kudos to you for doing your research....

The Rabbit welfare association site is a good place to start learning...they have alot of care information leaflets that you can download as pdf's including pamphlets on Fly Strike, vaccinations etc... all things you should know about before getting a rabbit. Rabbits are worth more than just being stuck in a hutch at the bottom of the garden, and they need more care than possibly imagine!

I would if possible visit a rescue as opposed to buying from a petshop if at all possible. If you can't get to a rescue then go to a reputable breeder. Buying from petshops just encourages more backyard breeders to continue breeding and you have no history of the rabbits. Rabbits in rescues will usually have already been neutered and have had a full health check done at the vets prior to rehoming.

Black labs like most retreivers might want to stalk the bunny. I would be very careful allowing the dog near the rabbit and certainly don't let him play around the rabbit or be left alone with it. Rabbits are prey animals and will become very scared if a dog they are unsure of is bounding around beside them.
You say you want a friendly rabbit that doesn't move too quickly??? Rabbits will naturally move quickly as it's their instinct. They don't usually like to be picked up and understanding their behaviour is the key to being a good rabbit owner. They don't make good pets for young children, and should never be forced to be picked up and cuddled. If you have an idea in your head that rabbits are cute cuddly animals that love being scooped up and fussed over then they aren't the right pet for you. You can't force a rabbit to be friendly or seek human attention. Of course you do come across rabbits that are friendlier than others, and some that do love nothing more than sitting on your lap....but that's not often the case.

They should ideally be kept in pairs, but to be honest if you don't plan on attaching a permanent run to the hutch you have bought it is not big enough for one rabbit let alone two. The new animal welfare act advises that rabbits are kept in a hutch at least 6ft by 2ft in depth. If you are unable to have a hutch that size then go with a 4ft by 2ft (yours is only 18 inches...that's far too narrow) and a permanent run attached.

:wave: deffinatly have a look around the rabbits up for adoption on rabbit rehome, you can search for bunnys near you, its very rewarding to get a bunny that has had a bad start and watch them grow and become more confident and happy. whatver you do avoid the temptation to grab one in a pet shop just because they have no rules and restricitons, the min cage sizes and possible home checks are all just to make sure your doing the best for bunny and they are going to be as happy and healthy as possible

Hi,

You say you want a friendly rabbit that doesn't move too quickly??? Rabbits will naturally move quickly as it's their instinct. They don't usually like to be picked up and understanding their behaviour is the key to being a good rabbit owner. They don't make good pets for young children, and should never be forced to be picked up and cuddled. If you have an idea in your head that rabbits are cute cuddly animals that love being scooped up and fussed over then they aren't the right pet for you. You can't force a rabbit to be friendly or seek human attention. Of course you do come across rabbits that are friendlier than others, and some that do love nothing more than sitting on your lap....but that's not often the case.

I would agree with that - sometimes a house rabbit will become more affectionate than one kept outdoors, as they are with you all the time, but with a young dog that won't be a possibility I'm sure, and they are very destructive in the house sometimes - I prefer to keep bunnies outside after having 3 in the house.

I have a hutch just like yours and can say it was just big enough for one netherland dwarf, miniature rabbit, who had a huge patio to run around on too. The internal dimensions of the hutch being only 16" deep in fact, and the stairwell taking up virtually all the floorspace upstairs - they bedroom compartment is so tiny you can only fit a kitten litter tray in there (all my bunnies are litter trained so there's no messy hutches dropping straw everywhere - but you do need room for a couple of deep, underbed storage boxes - so they can snuggle down in the hay when it's winter) I now use my hutch as a storage for garden stuff, cushions, dustpans etc - and the mice love it as they can fit through those 'fox proof' bars :roll:

I would recommend this hutch in the 2x5 size (about £130) for a single or a pair of normal sized bunnies - sited on concrete as they will dig out of a grass base http://www.happyhutch.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=44&categoryID=6 - main problem with anything smaller being the floor space is wasted on the ladder access - really a single story hutch has more useable floor than a small double.

This is a really good site for finding out all about bunny care :) http://www.mybunny.org/info/lit_1.htm

Elve I agree...

I have three housebunnies (soon to be moving into the summerhouse :(), two of which have lived in the house for almost two years since they were 8 weeks old and one of who won't even let me touch her :shock: She likes to climb all over me if I lie on the floor but she has a strictly no touch policy....I think she thinks she is regal :lol: I treat them all the same with equal amounts of affection and work from home so spend all day with them and only one likes me to fuss over her...the other two just don't care. I definitely think some rabbits are more suited to living outside. Phoebe lives indoors but goes into the garden everyday and loves it! she is also perfect in the house and has not been destructive at all...doesn't even go for remote controls. The other two are thinking about setting up their own 'decorating' company :shock:

One of my three outdoor bunnies is friendlier than my indoor one and he doesn't get nearly as much attention....it's mostly down to a buns personality.

hello and welcome :wave:

I have 3 bunnies and also a mad choccy lab,we had our dog before we got the bunnies,they are always kep separate but Archie the dog just looks at the bunnies as he walks past,he doesnt scare them,the rabbits are very curious about him and go to the edge of the run to look at him.Rabbit Rehome is a great place to find a bunny in your area,good luck

hello and welcome :wave:

I have 3 bunnies and also a mad choccy lab,we had our dog before we got the bunnies,they are always kep separate but Archie the dog just looks at the bunnies as he walks past,he doesnt scare them,the rabbits are very curious about him and go to the edge of the run to look at him.Rabbit Rehome is a great place to find a bunny in your area,good luck

Your chocolate lab sounds lovely.... we have a yorkie who loves the rabbits and they aren't bothered by him but our choc lab has to be kept seperate from them as she would kill them..she gets the most evil look in her eyes when she see's them and goes into that stalking posture :cry:

I want a friendly one and one that doesn't move to quickly.

This makes me think you'd be better off adopting a rabbit from a rescue. Apart from all of the ethics, rescues are often a bit older than pet shop bunnies, so their personality is formed and you know what you're getting.

I got Muppet from a rescue when he was six months old and I've now had him for a year. He's always been friendly and cheeky, but he's grown so much in confidence. It's lovely to see. He also didnt really know about being stroked and it's great to see how much he loves it. He doesnt come up to be stroked but loves to snuggle down when I do stroke him. He has never liked being cuddled but has grown a bit more tolerant (from 0 secs to, oh, 45 secs... :lol:). He likes to climb on me, but doesnt like to be touched when he does.

They all have their little ways, likes and dislikes. I've enjoyed learning Muppet's and he's hopefully enjoyed learning mine.

I'm trying to cancel the hutch now and have offered that he takes the money for advertising through ebay still as I've messed him about. Probably rushed into buying it. I'm thinking again about buying a rabbit. I have always wanted one but I've never really seen how they are in a house/back garden so I don't have a clue and I feel nervous getting an animal that I don't know much about. Will have to do a lot more research on this.

Thanks for all the help though.

Can I ask a few more questions? Just to help me think about this some more

What's the best thing about owning a rabbit?

What's the worse thing about owning a rabbit?

Once again thankyou.

You sound like you are really responsible about taking on a new pet. I think you will make a great bunny parent :)

Rabbits do make great pets...obviously ;) But they are also complexed little creatures and caring for them goes beyond just feeding and watering them. I think a great thing for you to do would be to visit a local rehoming centre where you can have a look at the rabbits and learn more about them and their need!

The best thing about owning a rabbit is....

gaining their trust and just seeing them binky about in the garden/house because they are so happy. I love going into the summerhouse on a morning to see my bunnies and they come running over for a treat...or on a night when I go to get them in from the garden and once they see me they run over because they know it's veg time. Ermmm.....I just love rabbits :lol:

I don't think there is a worse thing :shock: At least not for me....although I wish I had known more about them when I first took on rabbits as a child. I think because of my lack of knowledge all that time ago they didn't have the best lives they could have.

I'm trying to cancel the hutch now and have offered that he takes the money for advertising through ebay still as I've messed him about. Probably rushed into buying it. I'm thinking again about buying a rabbit. I have always wanted one but I've never really seen how they are in a house/back garden so I don't have a clue and I feel nervous getting an animal that I don't know much about. Will have to do a lot more research on this.

Thanks for all the help though.

Can I ask a few more questions? Just to help me think about this some more

Once again thankyou.

The best thing about owning rabbits is the rewarding bond that you devlop with each rabbit is different

The worst thing as the same with all pets is having to say good bye as they hop over rainbow bridge:cry:

The best thing about owning a rabbit is the fact that they aren't naturally affectionate creatures so it means so much more when you get a lick or a request for nose rubs :D

Worst thing is all the worrying about them, if they are eating etc. They are very delicate creatures :cry:

They're lovely to look at and somehow very rewarding. It's very satisfying to know you have a happy bunny, as with all the things I've said above. (He's just run in from the garden to check up on what I'm doing and then scampered off again!)

On a day-to-day basis, providing for physical needs is quick and easy: no time at all to feed and water and change the litter tray.

They're time consuming and emotionally demanding. That's partly my own "fault" in that I have a single rabbit and have a well developed sense of responsibility :rolleyes: so I make sure I spend a LOT of time with him. It's only fair: I know they're social animals so if I insist on having a lone one, I must do my best to make sure he's not lonely. I suspect it would be easier [on me] to have two. Having two is strongly recommended, and I'd have to agree as a general rule, because I know how hard I find it to have just one.

Muppet is a houserabbit and whilst there's no single thing that makes a mess (the hay's annoying but not THAT bad), the house never seems tidy anymore. Toys everywhere... But you could say that about toddlers ;) He has completely demolished my sofa cushions but he's just being a rabbit, so no point in getting cross.

It's very stressful when they're ill (but I'd guess you'd say that about any pet!).

I have always wanted one but I've never really seen how they are in a house/back garden so I don't have a clue and I feel nervous getting an animal that I don't know much about. Will have to do a lot more research on this.

You're being very sensible and thoughtful, so that bodes well :D If you visit a rescue, they'd probably be very happy to talk to you (in a way that most pet shops dont have the time and inclination for).

Also if you ask around (friends, family, colleagues), you'll probably find someone with a rabbit: then you can ask if you can pop round and see bunny-in-action. There seems to be a rabbit conspiracy - there are loads of them as pets but no-one seems to know who has them, unless you actually ask! :lol:

I think rabbits are incredibly rewarding - the joy I get from watching my two having fun together (usually by destroying something :shock:) makes me so glad to be sharing my life with them. But they are not easy pets - my cat is much easier to look after than the buns - and although I don't worry about them every day, you do have to be watchful for the first sign of anything that isn't quite right - usually something so small that I wonder if I'm imagining it to start with - but for all that my life wouldn't feel right without bunnies in it.

If I'd done the sort of research you're doing now, my first bunny would have had a better life, and I regret things I did or didn't do because I didn't know better. But I've learnt a lot along the way and now feel that I'm giving Bella and Tarquin the life they should have.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

As you can see from my signature I have 7 rabbits and have at times had 30, so Im sure you'll agree there are a lot of things I adore about keepng rabbits.

However there is a point I will raise as the 'worst thing' because no-one else has.

Rabbits are very, very expensive animals to seek veterinary treatment for. Day to day costs after the initial set-up they are quite reasonable but of course you need to factor in annual or bi-annual worming and bi-annual myxi vaccinations plus annual VHD vaccinations. This will cost you about £55 per year if you have a reasonably priced vet. You will also need to get your rabbit neutered....males approx £35-£60 and females £45-£90.

However rabbits are still classed as exotics despite being the third most popular pet in the UK. This means finding a vet who has done more than the basic couple of weeks on them and who actually attends small animal conferences and knows rabbit physiology is a challenge in itself.

Then you need to consider that the vet has to make those extra courses work for him and this is where you pay for the knowledge. A consultation alone averages £20 for a rabbit and rabbits are prone to a host of medical problems all of which can be expensive to treat.

A few common ones are:
Pasteurella/Snuffles which requires long courses of Baytril....expect to pay around £40-£160 for a course of treatment with possible tests.

Dental disease, work on the incisors can be done whilst conscious for about £10 but work on the molars should be done under GA...expect £60-£120. Thats also per time, some rabbits need dentals every 8 weeks or less whilst others can go for months.

GI Stasis. Hoping that unlike most seem to your bunny dosn't get stasis during emergency hours, initial treatment can set you back around £50-£70. If the rabbits needs hospitalisation because you are not comfortable with intensive hoe nurseing expect to pay into the £100's. An out of hours consultation can start from £70-£100 before any medication is given.

I know that seems like a scary read and believe me Im not trying to put you off, there are far too few good homes going for bunnies at the moment, but there is still a myth surrounding rabbits as a cheap and easy pet and they really are not.

I've managed not to go to the vets for 4 weeks with any of mine and thats a record :lol::lol::lol: and I am also always pleasently surprised if my vet bill comes to less than £100 these days.

Last edited:
I think you will make a great rabbit owner, i just think that you need to do some research, because there is so much to know :)

i would recommend contacting a rescue to find out about the requirements your bunny would need, and find out as much information as you can. the price you paid for that hutch is too much really as like others have said..too small, however if you go to www.happyhutch.co.uk you will find hutches at similar prices, but that are a great size for bunnies!

I think the mjaority of people dont get information first...myself included! i should have and i rushed into it, i dont regret it as now i have four bunnies, but i think research is crucial.

i hope you find your perfect bunny x

Back