• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sanitising the rabbit hutch

Cyberdog

Warren Scout
HI,
I was looking into using a household cleaning product to clean the hutch with. Obviously bleach is out; however what about using things like Dettol Anti-Bacterial Surface Cleanser.
What does everyone else use??
:wave::wave:

i use johnsons veternary clean'n'safe...its a disinfectant,cleaner and deoderant..can be used for rabbits,guinea pigs and other small animals...can clean the feeding bowls and water bottles 2..

I don't use anything designed for the home on the rabbits things other than white vinegar and warm water...I try and avoid using any household products as they mostly contain a cocktail of chemicals.

I was also just going to post this. I was told that vinegar and water takes out the pee - but haven't done it yet until I asked.

I don't use anything designed for the home on the rabbits things other than white vinegar and warm water...I try and avoid using any household products as they mostly contain a cocktail of chemicals.

Hi,
DOes this keep the flies away aswell??

We use Virkon it is a Defra approved disinfectant and neutralises as well as killing a whole variety of nasty bacterias/bugs etc

You could lino the bottom of the hutch, which helps keep things cleaner. :)

My bunny is indoors, but I use bleach. I also sometimes use Conficlean and Virkon, but please be aware that whilst Virkon etc do kill a lot of bugs, they don't kill everything (eg. E Cuniculi and Coccidia spores - probably spelled that wrong!)

I use the pet spray disinfectant from Wilkinsons for only £1 per bottle, bargain!

That stuff is horrible!! I used to get the £1.50 wilko lemon disinfectants but when run out had to buy the meadow fresh £1 ones, it smells musty and i feel it doesnt clean as deep, but that is my opinion.

I also use bleach and would do on a second hand hutch for the first clean because as Sarah said it is one of the few things that will kill EC spores and Coccidia. To the best of my memory even veterinary disinfectants such as Virkon and Trigene do not.

Make sure it's well diluted and thoroughly rinse, dry and air the hutch before putting the rabbits into it.

After that a basic disinfectant would be fine for week to week cleaning.

Hi

I've been using the Wilko pet spray one for the indoor hutch for Mustard. I use Lavender Zoflora diluted down and a yard broom for the patio where Hunny's hutch and run are (and where their new bunny house is going). The lavender smells good to us, not so good to flies.;) They are both safe around children and pets when completely dry. :)

Carmen

i use 2 types of cleaner. I use a parvo-virucide cleaner for the big cleans, and an odor cleaner for daily/weekly. I get it from these guys

Comes in 5L containers, and you then water it down however strong you want it into a spray bottle. The 5L container of odor kill lasts us over a year! My neighbour orders it for me as she orders loads of stuff from them. Two 5L containers of the odor kill cost £10 (Yes, that is 2 years worth!)

Last edited:
Erm......I think I might have done something a little stupid. :oops: I've been using the P@H spray cleaner since I've had buns but after reading posts that recommended vinegar, I thought it would probably be kinder to buns (and planet!) if I started using the vinegar / water mix to clean the hutches. However, when I went to Tesco today I may have got a little confused ...... I bought white wine vineger!!! :shock: :oops: :oops: Would this still be ok or would I end up with tiddly bunnies!!! Is a trip back to Tesco in order???? Sorry, I can't help it - and I am trying!!

Back