• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What could be the matter with her?

somebun

Young Bun
My rabbit is 3 years old and seems to be going off her food,:? Her teeth are just fine, as I check them every few days... her coat is in molt, her tummy a little bigger and she is peeing more... what could be the problem?

My rabbit is 3 years old and seems to be going off her food,:? Her teeth are just fine, as I check them every few days... her coat is in molt, her tummy a little bigger and she is peeing more... what could be the problem?

If she is going off her food then she needs to see a vet whatever the cause....
it's pointless speculating.

Have to say though that just because the incisors look ok that is not an indication of what is going on at the back of the mouth.

Is her tummy hard? is she just off one kind of food? and is she straining to pee?

When you say you check her teeth Im assuming that just means her incisors? Most rabbits develop issues with their molars which cannot be seen without an otoscope.

Is she drinking more?
Has she lost weight recently?

I recommend she has a full MOT at the vets asap.

Taking her up on Monday... but its her lack of appetite and slightly rounder belly and heavy weeing that worrying me, not her teeth tbh, she not dribbling etc...:?

A lot of digestive complaints develop secondary to dental issues. None of my four dental rabbits dribble.

Is she drinking more than normal?

Thumper lost weight when he had problems with his molars...wouldnt eat, but drank alot so i guess that made him pee alot too..& sometimes if you dont eat your tummy does swell, But i agree to have him checked over...

Poor Thumper was on injections for weeks & weeks for the infections he got with his teeth, But he is back to normal :)

Taking her up on Monday... but its her lack of appetite and slightly rounder belly and heavy weeing that worrying me, not her teeth tbh, she not dribbling etc...:?
Not to worry you buy none of my buns that have needed dentals have ever had dribbling as a symptom :shock:

Not to worry you buy none of my buns that have needed dentals have ever had dribbling as a symptom :shock:

:? What does that mean?? I am taking her to the vets, but I am more worried about her swollen belly and weeing thats all, no she is not excessive drinking.... She not dribbly or wet pawed.... If it is her teeth she will have surgery!

A swollen belly can mean problems of the digestive tract, because gas builds up in the guts. The pain from that could certainly put her off her food.

Increased weeing can indicate a urinary tract infection, but usually you'd notice the rabbit straining to wee, loss of litter training or even urine soaked around the bottom and legs.

A visit to the vet is definitely needed because a rabbit needs to eat pretty much constantly, even going for a day without eating can cause internal ulceration and ultimately death :(

Good luck, and lets us know how you get on.

Amy

Well teeth are fine, he put a probe in her mouth and felt her jaw to see if there discomfort... but she has a bladder infection, so on baytril and probiotic for her belly incase she has diahorrea....

Back