• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best way to clean an abcess

minimack

Mama Doe
Hi there
How it started
I have a french lop Jordan, he is being neutered in a couple of weeks. I got him a wife bun. Well it turns out his wife is a boy. Woody and Jordan hate each other so everytime Woody is in the garden i have to barracade Jordans hutch so they cant get to each other. About a week and a half ago i was getting the washing out the machine and heard rabbits scrapping, ran out the back door and woody has knocked everything away from the doors and they are fighting through doors. I picked Woody up and checked him over and could find no wounds. Till Wed this week i was picking Woody up to put him in the garden and felt a lump. I took him straight to the vet who says he has an abcess probably from when they fought. ( its behind his front right leg) She has put him on oral Baytril with is fun with a moody adolecsent french lop! And told me to open the wound twice a day and sqeeze as much pus out as i can. Well this is very painful to him (and me!) Please has anyone any advice how i can make it less traumatic for poor Woody.

Hi there
How it started
I have a french lop Jordan, he is being neutered in a couple of weeks. I got him a wife bun. Well it turns out his wife is a boy. Woody and Jordan hate each other so everytime Woody is in the garden i have to barracade Jordans hutch so they cant get to each other. About a week and a half ago i was getting the washing out the machine and heard rabbits scrapping, ran out the back door and woody has knocked everything away from the doors and they are fighting through doors. I picked Woody up and checked him over and could find no wounds. Till Wed this week i was picking Woody up to put him in the garden and felt a lump. I took him straight to the vet who says he has an abcess probably from when they fought. ( its behind his front right leg) She has put him on oral Baytril with is fun with a moody adolecsent french lop! And told me to open the wound twice a day and sqeeze as much pus out as i can. Well this is very painful to him (and me!) Please has anyone any advice how i can make it less traumatic for poor Woody.

Hello :)

First of all I do hope the Vet also prescribed some pain relief for Woody ?
If not, he/she should have and you need to contact him/her today to insist it is given.

Secondly, it is generally preferable to surgically excise the entire abscess capsule. This is because the abscess forms a thick wall and systemic abx often cannot penetrate it.

I would advise you take Woody back to the Vet ASAP to discuss this as abscesses in Rabbits require aggressive treatment from the outset. Abscesses positioned where Woody's is have a habbit of tracking inwards which is obviously not good news at all.

Poor Bun :cry:

Janex

Nope no pain relief prescribed but i have been giving him some anyway. She has said it does not feel to deep of attached to the muscle and wants him back next wee to see if its clearing up any. Possible surgery next week. She said with it being relatively small wanted to try this way first. I have never had a bun with an abcess before. Poor boy i just feel so bad for him. I cant believe i did not feel it before, must have picked him up a different way on wed to normal. Just keep crying when i look at his little face. He seems fine every other way thank goodness but i dont want him getting a fear that everytime i=he is picked up there will be pain!

HI SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR BUNS ABCESS, THEY ARE HORRID THINGS:evil:.MY BUN HAD 2 AND HAD THEM SURGICALLY REMOVED EVERYTIME, AS JACKS JANE SAID THEY REALLY NEED TO BE TREATED ASAP AGGRESSIVLEY.WISHING YOU THE BEST, PLEASE KEEP US POSTED.BUT SAME HAPPENED TO MY BUN, AFTER 2ND OP NO PAIN RELIEF WAS GIVEN, IT WAS ONLY AFTER A FORUM MEMBER TOLD ME TO GO BACK AND ASK FOR IT!!!:rolleyes:

Back