• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

If Myxomatosis is suspected.....

charlie82

Mama Doe
Should the rabbit have started a course of antibiotics?

Also, what are the benefits of doing a biopsy of one of the lumps? I'm hoping our experts can answer that.

The vet told my friend the rabbit could have Syphillis...but she has no lesions on her face, mouth, nose etc and they are on her body. Then after looking in a textbook :roll: she said it was possibly myxi and to leave it until next Wednesday until they did a biopsy.:?

I'm not a vet so I can't say what's right or wrong and I've never had any experiences with mxyomatosis. I've advised that she seek a second opinion and my friend called the surgery again and they said the same thing!

I had a rabbit last year with the skin form of myxi....the vet started antibiotics straight away to help with any secondary infections...it doesn't curethe myxi but myxi lowers the immune system and makes the rabbit more susceptable to other infections.

My bunny was on antibiotics for months but she did come thhrough the myxi...is this rabbit vaccinated? (mine was).

How did the skin form present itself initially if you don't mind me asking?

Did they do a biopsy?

Nope the rabbit isn't vaccinated!!

Well myxi is obviously far more serious in an un-vaccinated bunny .... when mine was diagnosed I'd just gone to the vet to get her vhd jab done and when the vet checked her over she found small spots on the inside of her ears .

These 'spots' grew to be quite large lumps which went pretty much through the thickness of her ears and formed thick scabs eventually.....she had them all over...on her head,up her nose,over her body....they take a long while to go completely ,she still had scabs months after the initial diagnosis.

The vet didn't do a biopsy because she was sure what it was,she said it would be pointless.

Thank you for that info...

Well I guess if the vet isn't sure then a biopsy should be done...but I don't know why they would wait until next Wednesday, or why she wasn't started off on a precautionary course of antibiotics!

I'm not sure its as likely to be the skin myxi if the rabbit is not vaccinated....I'd have thought it would get the full blown version but I can't be sure,someone else on here may well know.

Nevertheless I'd have thought they'd have started antibiotics .

I am as I said on another thread, really suprised they haven't started anti B's to give this bunny a chance. If she isn't vaccinated then the chances of survival are very slim I am afraid. However I would have suspected a significant worsening in the buns health if it was myxi. I have had vaccinated and unvaccinated buns get myxi. A biopsy was never done. The unvaccinated ones didn't make it. The vaccinated one did.

I am as I said on another thread, really suprised they haven't started anti B's to give this bunny a chance. If she isn't vaccinated then the chances of survival are very slim I am afraid. However I would have suspected a significant worsening in the buns health if it was myxi. I have had vaccinated and unvaccinated buns get myxi. A biopsy was never done. The unvaccinated ones didn't make it. The vaccinated one did.

I completely agree.... although I know sometimes myxi even in unvaccinated rabbits can develop slowly. Regardless of whether it is myxi or not I would have expected the vet to have started her on something. Thing is it's frustrating because I can't force my friend to take her to the vet and of course she is going to listen to a vet over me :roll: I'm just a little frustrated about it all right now.

I've never had a bun with either *touch wood* but isn't the treatment for syphillis abx too? So therefor it would treat either condition initially.

Also I thought only vaccinated rabbits contracted nodular myxi?

I've never had a bun with either *touch wood* but isn't the treatment for syphillis abx too? So therefor it would treat either condition initially.

I thought so too....

Tamsin said it is possible for unvaccinanted rabbits to catch nodular myxi...i think that's what she said but I could have read it wrong.

I don't know, maybe it isn't myxi, but either way I would expect a bun who is 'quieter than normal' and exhibiting numerous lumps, one of which has ruptered to be treated with something :?

yes thats my interpretation too.

I'm done trying to help anyway.... doesn't matter what you say to someone, they will do what they want to do regardless.

Thanks... I just think there is nothing worse than someone asking you for help, making you worry for them and then not really listening to it :roll:

Tamsin said it is possible for unvaccinanted rabbits to catch nodular myxi...i think that's what she said but I could have read it wrong.

I was at the vets this morning and she said last year they saw a number of unvaccinated rabbits with nodular myxi - so although it's more likely that unvaccinated buns will get traditional myxi which will almost certainly kill them, it is possible that they will be lucky. I guess it depends on how virulent the strain is and possibly whether the buns immune system already has antibodies - as well as a certain amount of chance.

I was at the vets this morning and she said last year they saw a number of unvaccinated rabbits with nodular myxi - so although it's more likely that unvaccinated buns will get traditional myxi which will almost certainly kill them, it is possible that they will be lucky. I guess it depends on how virulent the strain is and possibly whether the buns immune system already has antibodies - as well as a certain amount of chance.

Yeah I read that in an internet article. It also said that some buns immune systems can cope better depending on how virulent the strain is as you say...

My friend has decided to see how she is on Monday and if need be will take her to a different vet :roll: Not my advice but there you go...short of going and getting the rabbit myself not much I can do other than hope it isn't myxi for the rabbits sake.

chelsea had myxi (nodular) last year she recovered tho was vaccs. if it is myxi the most important things are get onto a cours of antibiotics as early as possible.baytril seems to be a favourite.... put on metacam to help with main and inflamation if eyes are runny (ususally due to nodules in the eye) then get eye drops tiacil/fulcthalmic(sp?) they need to be kept warmer than normal keep eating whatever you can get to temp them if weezing occours then a steam bath of sorts helps, if it is myxi tis a slim chance of survival in non vaccs buns best thing is to get to a more rabbit savvy vet... a tiny dark nodule is often found on the nose also. i would be concerned it was myxi from your post but i hope it isnt it is a really nasty disease for which they have good and bad and really bad days. good luck x

Back