• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Panicking about Sparkle, UD I'm a wuss.

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Ok I had to collect some rabs from a breeder and I did it over the year, he'd given up because of age and health http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=94397&highlight=breeder they were not being mis-treated, it was all sorted and he kept two back as pets (Rex and Sparkle) but he's health got worse and he signed them over to me some weeks back.

Anyway what happen to rex on yesterday, I am now panicking about Sparkle, I don't think they're related, but I don't know for sure. She's booked in for her neuter on Tuesday (as Rex was originally, but of course he had to be done early).

She's a little bit porky, all the rex's were from the breeder, but doesn't seem really fat and have been working at getting some weight off her, but I'm scared she's going to die.

It wont happen again will it? :cry:

Last edited:
Ok I had to collect some rabs from a breeder and I did it over the year, he'd given up because of age and health http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=94397&highlight=breeder they were not being mis-treated, it was all sorted and he kept two back as pets (Rex and Sparkle) but he's health got worse and he signed them over to me some weeks back.

Anyway what happen to rex on yesterday, I am now panicking about Sparkle, I don't think they're related, but I don't know for sure. She's booked in for her neuter on Tuesday (as Rex was originally, but of course he had to be done early).

She's a little bit porky, all the rex's were from the breeder, but doesn't seem really fat and have been working at getting some weight off her, but I'm scared she's going to die.

It wont happen again will it? :cry:

How old is she Tree?

Janex

She's around three, http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=12071 the guy is so old though, he could of got the ages wrong. I could do with getting in touch with rexy bexy, as he's her uncle, but I lost all my numbers when my phone broke and don't have it, she's at uni now so doesn't come on here very often.

Whoops noticed she's still on reserve, her home fell through :oops:

Well if Sparkle is carrying a bit too much weight personally I'd postpone the spay and get her to slim down a bit. I have absolutely no proof but in my experiences Rexes do have a predisposition to Heart problems. So getting her into optimum condition before surgery would definately help.
Does your Vet have facilities for doing a Cardiac Ultrasound ? Its not always possible to pick up abnormalities by just listening to a Buns heart, unless the condition is advanced in which case there are usually clinical symptoms eg laboured breathing, lethargy.

Its generally not possible to get a good view of a Buns heart with a conscious chest Xray as usually only a dorsal view can be done. And of course you would not want to GA her so an ultrasound of her heart might be the best option.

Reduced Kidney function can *sometimes* be a symptom of heart disease so a blood work-up might give some useful information too.

In brief, even if pre-surgical tests are not an option I'd still hold off on the spay til Sparkle has lost weight as spaying a Bun carrying lots of excess fat ( as opposed to muscle mass) is always more risky even if they dont have a heart problem.

Good luck whatever you decide

Janex :)

Thanks Jane, she's a lot slimmer than what she was, I have waited a few weeks before getting them done. It's so hard isn't it :(. Would gas be a better option? I mean I can wait, it's not a problem.

Gosh so hard isn't it, the other rex's were done without any problem, the only one we did have problems with is Ginger, she was soooooo massive.

I will be back in a bit, got a protest today, so need to get sorted.

Thanks Jane, she's a lot slimmer than what she was, I have waited a few weeks before getting them done. It's so hard isn't it :(. Would gas be a better option? I mean I can wait, it's not a problem.

Gosh so hard isn't it, the other rex's were done without any problem, the only one we did have problems with is Ginger, she was soooooo massive.

I will be back in a bit, got a protest today, so need to get sorted.

Hmmmmmmmmm, well I am a total neuro :oops: so I'd still wait a while, but if your Vet is happy to go ahead then I'd take the professional advice

Janex :)

Ok, will have a chat with Doug and see what he thinks, any doubts what so ever I'm bringing her home as it's not worth the risk, I don't want any more heart ache :(

Tree if it is any consolation, Vanessa B on here had her two lionheads neutered (they are sisters) one sailed through but my vet had to bring one straight back round as she was not responding very well to the GA anyway couple of weeks later she was done with know problems:D

if you're concern, you can get your vet to listen to the heartbeat as well as do a blood test to check on the health status of the heart

Well I chickened out, I took her with her packed lunch and they checked her and they did say she was fine to be neutered, but she is a bit porky and it's never as safe as it should be if she was a perfect weight, they had a good feel of that area and can't feel anything that would say she would need to be spayed asap, so I brought her back home, she's booked in again for a months time to see if she's a bit slimmer by then.

Gosh I'm a rubbish rescue, I should be getting them ready for rehoming quicker than what I am, but if it's not 99% safe I would rather wait until she's an ideal weight.

Awww sweetie, you are NOT a rubbish rescue!!!!! ::hugs:: You just care a LOT and worry about the buns welfare......that makes you a GREAT rescue! :D

you did what you thought was best for her and for you, there's nothing wrong with that.

Like you say the vets checked her and there is no rush for the spay and you also have to think of yourself as well. Running a rescue is stressful and if it's easier on you to wait a bit too then it's the right thing to do. You have to look after yourself or there will be no-one to look after the bunnies. :)

Awwwww thanks Jill, I do feel like one though, I said to the vet that I really hope they're not offended and I do trust them, but being as I don't know if Sparkle is related to Rex or not it may be best not to do it now. Vet agreed so that was ok.

you did what you thought was best for her and for you, there's nothing wrong with that.

Like you say the vets checked her and there is no rush for the spay and you also have to think of yourself as well. Running a rescue is stressful and if it's easier on you to wait a bit too then it's the right thing to do. You have to look after yourself or there will be no-one to look after the bunnies. :)

Thanks Hun, I've cut her pellets down and she's had a load of timothy hay, she's lost quite a bit already, but is still a little podge. :lol:

You are not rubbish you just care which is what you are all about as a Rescue ! I put Lenny's neuter off as he wasnt quite right. You have done the right thing and there is no rush :)

Sometimes you just have to go with your instincts, and if it didn't feel right then it wasn't the right time.

PS: I love the name Sparkle - my first ever pet, a white hamster, was called Sparkle :D

Back