• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vaccine your opinion please

billysmom

Mama Doe
:d Hi Poppy Is Due To Be Vaccinated Tommorow, Shes Had Her Myxi And Is Now Due Her Vhd.id Booked It 2 Wks Ago With The Vet For £40 (inc Both Jabs). Had A Call Earlier Saying Could I Come In The Morning, As Appointments Have Been Changed.i Said "no Prob", Then When I Asked Who Was Administrating Jab I Was Told Veterinary Nurse Watched By Vet, Do You Think This Is Ok.

I would think so if the vet is going to be there :? Im not really sure, if it was one of mine I would ask my vet to do it and say the nurse can watch if they want :oops: My vet has always done mine and im a bit fussy about who gets to touch my buns let alone give them vaccinations :oops:

:oops: THATS EXACTLY HOW I FEEL, THOUGHT I WAS BEING A BIT OTT:lol:.I REALISE THEY DO A GREAT JOB AND HAVE TO LEARN, BUT FEEL VERY UNEASY ABOUT THIS, THINK I,LL RING THEM AND EXPLAIN.GLAD ITS NOT JUST ME.:oops:THANKYOU.

Its ok :) Like I said I am a bit obsessed with who sees my buns at the vets so other members might think its ok as long as the vet is there :oops: :lol:

:) MMM STILL NOT SURE, THINK I,LL HAVE TO RE-ARRANGE TO SEE THE VET, I KNOW I,LL ASK TOO MANY QUESTIONS AND FRET:oops::oops::oops: AND PUT THE POOR GIRL OFF FOR LIFE:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: There was a nurse in with the vet once helping us hold Buu :oops: and she was just looking at me like I was such a freak with all the questions I was asking :lol: Each time I go in I have new questions about the buns and the rats, my poor vet must dread seeing me :oops: :lol:

VHD jabs are nasty if you stick yourself so I'd presume the nurse is already practised at giving jabs? If the vets there and you feel uncomfortable you can always get him/her to do it instead :)

:lol::lol: IM AFRAID IM EXACTLY THE SAME, BUT SHES ONLY A SMALL BUN AND ID WANTED TO ASK A FEW BITS ABOUT DIET ETC, SO I,LL RING THEM FIRST THING.I RECKON THEY WILL THINK IM A BIT OF A WORRY WART, BUT JUST THOUGHT THEY,D BE CORRECT:lol::lol::lol: HATE THE IDEA OF HER HAVING IT, SHE WAS FINE WITH MYXI APART SHE SENT US TO COVENTRY FOR 2 DAYS.:lol:

VHD jabs are nasty if you stick yourself so I'd presume the nurse is already practised at giving jabs? If the vets there and you feel uncomfortable you can always get him/her to do it instead :)

THANKYOU TAMSIN, I WILL RING AND STILL TAKE HER AND EXPLAIN MY CONCERNS THANKYOU.:)

This may be a stupid question but.....I have never had a vet nurse vaccinate one of my bunnies but on an occasion where I was told it might be a possibility (and I then rebooked the appointment :oops: ) I was informed that the vet had to have seen the rabbit before hand anyway because only they can certify it healthy and sign the vax certificate to say as much.

So based on that, why is it actually necessary for a vet nurse to learn to give the vaccine if they cannot do it unaided?

:) I TOTALLY AGREE, AS WHEN I FIRST BOOKED I WAS TOLD THAT THE VET WOULD CHECK POPPY,S HEALTH FIRST BEFORE VACCINATING, THAT WAS FOR HER MYXI. YOU,VE JUST JOGGED MY MEMORY ON THAT, WILL STILL RING AND ASK IF ITS POSSIBLE TO SEE THE VET THAT,S ON THAT MORNING AND EXPLAIN WHY.:oops:I REALISE THAT THEY HAVE TO LEARN BUT IT DOES SEEM VERY ODD:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Personally I would feel completely confident in a Vet nurse deliering the vaccine and doing the pre-jab healthchecks. I'm always amazed this doesn't happen routinely, it's such a simple procedure.

We've never had a vet nurse deliver any vaccines with ours, although I do think qualified nurses are allow to inject animals, the vet nurses out there would be able to tell us. I can only think this may be for her qualifications as we often have vet nurses, supervised by the vet checking us in, being shown how to check teeth etc, for their course work.

Personally I would feel completely confident in a Vet nurse deliering the vaccine and doing the pre-jab healthchecks. I'm always amazed this doesn't happen routinely, it's such a simple procedure.

I dont *think* anyone other than a vet is allowed to sign the vaccination certificate because they must be a memeber of the RCVS for it to be valid.

The myxi vaccine can be very fiddly so I would only let a vet give that. As far as Im concerned Im paying for a professional to give the vaccination and thats the service I expect to receive.

Thats just my personal opinion though because it's what I feel comfortable with.

I dont *think* anyone other than a vet is allowed to sign the vaccination certificate because they must be a memeber of the RCVS for it to be valid.

The myxi vaccine can be very fiddly so I would only let a vet give that. As far as Im concerned Im paying for a professional to give the vaccination and thats the service I expect to receive.

Thats just my personal opinion though because it's what I feel comfortable with.

I'm sure any Vet nurse undertaking these procedures would have undergone rigorous training and assessment beforehand. Probably more so than most Vets (who often learn by the 'watch one, do one, teach one' method, which explains why so many don't give the myxi intradermal injection and go straight for the subcutaneous site). I'm NOT a Vet nurse but it sounds as though the Veterinary world is still fairly archaic in it's practices compared to human medicine where nurses administer all medicines and carry out minor surgery. This sounds as though it's finally slowly starting to change and I imagine that Vet nurses will be taking over more of the routine care, which I would welcome because it will probably be done better.

I'm sure any Vet nurse undertaking these procedures would have undergone rigorous training and assessment beforehand. Probably more so than most Vets (who often learn by the 'watch one, do one, teach one' method, which explains why so many don't give the myxi intradermal injection and go straight for the subcutaneous site). I'm NOT a Vet nurse but it sounds as though the Veterinary world is still fairly archaic in it's practices compared to human medicine where nurses administer all medicines and carry out minor surgery. This sounds as though it's finally slowly starting to change and I imagine that Vet nurses will be taking over more of the routine care, which I would welcome because it will probably be done better.

I agree :)

Janex

Im sure its all fine, but I would still rather my buns only seeing my vet :) I wouldnt want to see my vet for somethings and have other things like vaccinations done by whatever nurse happens to be working that day. I dont doubt they arent trained I just like seeing the same person who knows my buns each time they go there :)

It took me about two years to find a bunny savvy vet, I really dont want to have to start all that again to find out which nurse I can see because im sure like vets there are going to be some that dont know much about rabbits :?

It took me about two years to find a bunny savvy vet, I really dont want to have to start all that again to find out which nurse I can see because im sure like vets there are going to be some that dont know much about rabbits :?

Ditto. We all know what it's like finding a vet that can vaccinate properly. Also one of my practices is a training practice....so they would literally be practicing with the rabbits and as I said, currently the rabbit still has to see a vet first for a health check anyway.

Plus I have awful Trude Mostue visions :oops::oops:

Ditto. We all know what it's like finding a vet that can vaccinate properly. Also one of my practices is a training practice....so they would literally be practicing with the rabbits and as I said, currently the rabbit still has to see a vet first for a health check anyway.

Plus I have awful Trude Mostue visions :oops::oops:

Errrrrmmmm she was a Vet :lol:

Janex

:) HI AGAIN, THANKS FOR EVERYONES VIEWS, I HAVE NO QUALMS WITH THE VETERINARYS NURSES AT ALL.BUT ID BOOKED THE APPOINTMENT OVER A FORTNIGHT AGO AND ID CHOSE TO HAVE THE VACCINE TO BE GIVEN BY ONE PARTICULAR VET WHO IVE BEEN TAKING POPPY TO. AFTER RINGING THIS MORNING I LEARNED THAT THE RECEPTIONIST HAD DOUBLE BOOKED MY APPOINTMENT, AND GAVEN IT TO SOMEONE ELSE.THEREFORE USING A VETERINARY NURSE IN THEIR EYES ISNT TYING THE VET UP.THATS FINE BUT MY PERSONAL CHOICE IS TO SEE JO MY USUAL VET (AFTER PROBS IN THE PAST IM OTT PARANOID:oops:) ANYWAY THEY RANG ME BACK AND APOLOGISED WHEN THEY REALISED WHAT HAD GONE ON, AND IVE JUST CAME BACK FROM HAVING POPPY VACCINATED, SHE WAS VERY GOOD, BUT ONCE HOME SENT US ALL TO COVENTRY:lol:, PLUS THERE WERE TWO ISSUES I NEEDED THE VETS ADVICE ON, WHICH SHE WAS CHECKED FOR AND ADVICE GIVEN.AT THE END OF THE DAY POPPY,S FINE, THANKYOU FOR ALL YOUR MUCH APPRECIATED COMMENTS.:D

Back