• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

microchipped?

:wave: i was curious as to whether it was worth getting Butterbean and Tony microchipped. Im not sure if its worth it as im not sure that if they got in to a situation where they needed it that anyone would think to 'beep' them :lol: ? i'd be grateful for any advice. thanks.

Beau was done when I adopted him, but the other three are actually all going in next week to be microchipped just so I can prove they are mine if I ever need too :D

I didnt think I needed mine done as they are never going to escape from the house or garden but I am panicking now :oops: Are your buns outdoors? x

hi yeah they live outdoors all year, ive got no intention of mine escaping either but its better to be safe than sorry! maybe i will i cant decide yet :?

If you do a search on here, you'll find a variety of opinions, as this comes up quite often:

* it's not worth it, vets/rescues dont scan
* house rabbits dont escape.

Personally I think outdoor and indoor rabbits*do* escape (or accidents happen) and better safe than sorry. The more rabbits that are microchipped, the more routine scanning will become. The feeling I have - from posts on here - is that scanning for rabbits is getting more common.

If you do a search on here, you'll find a variety of opinions, as this comes up quite often:

* it's not worth it, vets/rescues dont scan
* house rabbits dont escape.

Personally I think outdoor and indoor rabbits*do* escape (or accidents happen) and better safe than sorry. The more rabbits that are microchipped, the more routine scanning will become. The feeling I have - from posts on here - is that scanning for rabbits is getting more common.

Totally agree :D

Ive microchipped my rabbits for at least the last 12 years now.

Its also handy if they go into the vets as an in patient/boarding as mistakes with identity DO happen with inexperienced staff, not often but ive heard a fair few/witnessed a few mistaken identities.

If the worst happens and you do lose a bun, then you can phone the local rescues and tell them that he has escape and is microchipped, then they probably will scan any they get in :)

You could also put leaflets through the neighbours doors telling them, so if they find a bun they can take him to the local centre and scan him there.

:wave: hi i never thought of it like that i will get them chipped like you say its better safe than sorry even if they never need it at least then like you say i can let people know they are chipped if they ever escape :shock: thanks for the tips i think all pets should be chipped anyway that way millions of animals would be returned rather than ending up in homes when their original owners can't find them, with the exception of hammys and mice etc i think it would be too big an injection for them :? i lost one of my hammys yesterday she was only 1, she died on her birthday :cry::cry::cry: im sure shes happy now though playing with our other pets :)

:love: my hammy Boo R.I.P. :love:

:wave: hi i never thought of it like that i will get them chipped like you say its better safe than sorry even if they never need it at least then like you say i can let people know they are chipped if they ever escape :shock: thanks for the tips i think all pets should be chipped anyway that way millions of animals would be returned rather than ending up in homes when their original owners can't find them, with the exception of hammys and mice etc i think it would be too big an injection for them :? i lost one of my hammys yesterday she was only 1, she died on her birthday :cry::cry::cry: im sure shes happy now though playing with our other pets :)

:love: my hammy Boo R.I.P. :love:

Sorry about Boo :(

Hi

Hunny was my 'rescue' and the first thing I thought when I finally caught her, was "ok, I wonder if she's chipped?" I used to take in feral and stray cats from the RSPCA (before I had children), and I always got them chipped, so I assumed rabbits would be done too. However, when I suggested this to the RSPCA when I called, they said only show-rabbits are chipped, as pet rabbits aren't worth chipping!:shock: She said the vet wouldn't even check!

But, once I have got their house sorted and they are both outside full-time, they will be chipped.:)

Carmen

I want mine chipped as one of my buns escaped within 1 hour of having her and we searched for 2 hours before we found her.
my buns are lovely but if picked up they will struggle so i am worried that they wont keep still when they are being microchipped.Next month is national microchipping month and vets often do half price microchipping that month;)

It works

One of my Bunnies escaped once and due to her micro chip she was returned home! My Bunnies didn't moan at all when it was put it either

wow ok so is it June thats microchipping month :D ? i could do with any money help poss :roll: i cant believe that they said your buns are not worth microchipping!!! thats awful :shock: every animal is worth something whether its worth money or sentimental value its worth it. i thought vets were supposed to care about the animals not the :censored::censored: money !!! is it expensive anyway i never had a bun microchipped before, well... thats prob because i never had a bun before :lol::lol::lol:

Back