• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kitchen roll to line hutch?

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Hi folks,
My wee rescued Roly rabbit has just come back from his deballsing and we were told to line his hutch with news paper for the time being.

I was thinking of putting a layer of un-dyed kitchen roll to make it a bit softer for him but I'm not sure if he'll try to eat this?

Not sure if he'll try to eat it but I don't think that it will be necessary. Use newspaper and then just put hay in his litter trays or hay racks.

I have just left my hutches as normal whenever I have had a boy neutered to be honest with no ill effects. That's lined with newspaper and then his litter trays with newspaper, Megazorb and loads of hay.:D

Is he indoors? He does need to be if not - their body temp drops after an anaesthetic, and they need to be kept warm till they're recovering - Really pet fleece is best for him to lie on but some old towels will also be fine, on top of the newspaper - kitchen roll won't be much good and he could eat it like you say :)

I have heard that newpaper is sterile and you can deliver a baby on it (or is this an old wvies tale?) so it can't be bad for rabbits.

Is he indoors? He does need to be if not - their body temp drops after an anaesthetic, and they need to be kept warm till they're recovering - Really pet fleece is best for him to lie on but some old towels will also be fine, on top of the newspaper - kitchen roll won't be much good and he could eat it like you say :)

I'm sure I read somewhere that giving rabbits towels was bad as they try to eat them? He is outside but it is definately not cold in Falkirk tonight and he's been kept outside all his life. About the only thing I could do would be to put his hutch in a shed.

Back