• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Are my bunnies poorly or am I being an overprotective mummy

Keyzzee

Warren Scout
Im a bit worried about 2 of my bunnies. They both had very healthy apeitites, and loved their veggies etc. The male was neutured approx 3 months ago and as result put a lot of weight on, we have managed to get his weight down now by cutting down the amount of pellets I was giving them, as I realise I was slowly killing them with love as I was spoiling them too much with treats, I just love them but I know you all know what I mean. Anyway, I feed them on a morning and on a tea time, normally when I feed them on a night there is nothing left of the pellets or veggies just a scrappy bit of hay, but Ive noticed since last week when I had them out in the run alot more due to the clement weather and they got a case of the loose stools, although they are eating, there is a food left in their bowl when I go to feed them at tea time, which is unusal. They seem perky enough and dont look ill, but I know rabbits hide illness well, but they dont seem as interested in their food as they used to. Has anyone got any ideas. I hope Im just being a dotty bunny mom. But I would hate to think that there was something wrong and I ignored it. I was at the vets last week with them for their annual injections, and they had a full medical and teeth checked etc and the vet seemed happy with them, but I just dont have a clue.

If their run is on grass they will be eating that so will be less hungry for their pellets. At this time of year grass is very rich which may account for their soft poo

Janex

Hi, yeah theie run is on the grass, and i did think it might have been the grass that caused the upset tummys, but then I move the run to the patio so that they could still get exercise without the poops, but they still dont seeem to be as interested in their food as they used to be. They would literally pull spring greens out of my hand, but now its just a sniff and a nibble and thats it, they will keep going back to it, but not with the vigour Im used to, the only thing that seems to get them excited is apple, but I dont want to give them too much. There favourite treat was strawberrys but they seem to turn their noses up, do you think that they could just be sick of the same veggies etc. If so can you recommend any thing else I can give them apart from spring greens, carrots, broccolli, apples and strawberrys. I have two other rabbits who still seem to be eating with great gusto, but Im worried that they will become picky eaters too. Im still fairly new to rabbit owning, had them as a child but my parents took care of the needs of the bunnies and I got all the cuddles. But now Im a paranoid bunny mum.

Mine are the same this week! I think its the warm weather. They were not eating their veg which is v unusual and in morning pellets still in their bowl. I have also found cecal poos twice!

I have cut out morning pellets today and then given half normal amount at lunch time.

Veg as normal at tea time and half normal pellets a bed time. Fingers crossed veg eaten in morning and no cecals.

:D

as soon as mine leave a caecal poop I cut their pellets and veg back and give more hay - they only need a couple teaspoons pellets morning and evening max, and not a lot of veg (include grass as veg) If mine have had lots of grass I don't bother giving them greens, just a small chunk of carrot. You really can kill rabbits with kindness very easily, so it's better to keep them slim - they can't reach around to eat their poops if they are fat either, and are at risk of flystrike. The only thing you can't give them too much of is hay - mine go mad for it and get a fresh bundle morning and evening :)

Back