• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks

Carol X

Alpha Buck
Blue my rex is starting to have sore hocks. Does anyone know please what I can use to help him.
Many thanks

Hi Jane.
He lives in a shed, which has his cage in that is laid to news paper and hay/staw which is open 24/7 his run area has carpet, which may be the problem if it is this, what could I put down for him instead which would be good for his feet.

Hi Jane.
He lives in a shed, which has his cage in that is laid to news paper and hay/staw which is open 24/7 his run area has carpet, which may be the problem if it is this, what could I put down for him instead which would be good for his feet.

Yep, carpet can be a problem for Rexes. Generally they do better on very thick soft straw or hay. One of my Rexes, Miss Bunny Penny had dreadful hocks until I started to keep her on tons of shredded paper and hay. At the age of 7 she has actually got fur on her hocks for the first time in her adult life!!

Janex :)

Will change carpet tomorrow. What about vetbed if I was to bed him on half vetbed and the rest a mix of straw/hay and shedded paper would this be better?

sorry to hear your bun has poorly hocks. The carpet does seem to aggrevate poorly hocks, one of my house buns Audrey has sore hocks and I have cheap fleeces down on the floor where her and Monty run around, to make it softer for her. Their litter trays are a layer of megazorb, soft straw and hay.

It sounds as though the vet bed/hay shredded paper mix is a good idea. the only reason I don;t use the vetbed is Audrey and Monty like to eat it:roll:

You may find if you rub a little sudocrem on the sore, it can help and won't do any harm.
the key is to manage the situation, at least you are aware.

Good luck
Andrea
x

Is it possible to let him run on grass for a couple of hours every day? My rex's hocks are nice and fluffy now. She's out on grass during the day, and the cream I used when her hocks were bad was prescribed by my vet as Sudocream didn't work for us. The cream is called Flammazine and is actually a human Burns ointment.

i'm currently using flammazine and finally getting some improvement after two weeks, it definitely helps.

Is it possible to let him run on grass for a couple of hours every day? My rex's hocks are nice and fluffy now. She's out on grass during the day, and the cream I used when her hocks were bad was prescribed by my vet as Sudocream didn't work for us. The cream is called Flammazine and is actually a human Burns ointment.

Blue shares the garden with my other bunnies so he is not out all day but does get out to have a run everyday for about 2/3 hours on weekdays, on weekends has a lot more time out.

Would I have to get this ointment from my vets or the chemist(would like to try it).
Thanks for your help.

Back