• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best gnawing item

toadflaxbex

Warren Scout
I had my buns teeth done in Feb as they were too long/pointy and just been for his myxo and asked the vet to check his teeth and he said they were getting long again, he said they were OK but may need doing in a while.

So I want to find something miraculous to get this muncher munching. He eats loads of Hay, a few pellets a day, He has had one of those wooden bridge things, they have the gnaw stones from 'Naturals' but once the nice stuff has been munched off that gets left. Occasionally they have a parsley bell that they really have to munch at. So is there anything out there I am missing for him to chew on. He chews the ramp of the hutch but I haven't heard him do that in a while.
Any ideas?

Perhaps try untreated apple tree sticks and logs. Find a local gardener and ask if he has any :) My local gardener saves all the safe fruit tree logs and sticks for me :)

Mine love willow stuff, stick, balls, mats etc. They also love hazel twigs.

Have you tried mixing courser hay into his normal hay? My two love soft hay but go mad for a munch on the really hard stuff too.

Thanks - ATM they have meadow hay barley and oat and Timothy too. I tried the course stuff from dust free and they didn't like it. They have a seagrass mat that the lady chews but I haven't seen him have a go yet. They also have had willow balls but they seem to have ignored them once they get halfway through it lol.

I may go to hayexperts and get a mixture of stuff. Just wanted everyone's thoughts before I did my order, so if anyone else has an idea, please do let me know.

I have heard that if you soak the willow sticks in apple juice it can entice them to chew them because they taste nice, never tried it though. :)

I have heard that if you soak the willow sticks in apple juice it can entice them to chew them because they taste nice, never tried it though. :)

Interesting! They have had chewbs but they don't seem that interested. They love those parsley bells you can get but I take it out after about 5 mins as I think they would finish it off without taking a break, and wasn't sure if they should eat it in one go, but im sure thats good for their teeth.

I think will do an order today, hayexperts has loads of stuff so will see what I can get.

Back