• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit has sticky bum

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
For about a week my female mini lop who was neutered 5 months ago has had diarrhoea on and off. Its not really like diarrhoea its more like her soft poo that she is meant to eat is runny and sticks to her bum.

My vet told me to check her teeth and make sure its not that that's causing the problem and her teeth are fine. and also i have not given her any new food which could cause this and stops giving her veggies for a week now! can any one help and should i take her to the vets?

:D:):wave:

hi fudge im no expert but for your own piece of mind at the very least i would go to your vets, i hope its nothing but you can never be too careful. sending you and your bun vibes.

ideally she should eat a fresh bundle of hay twice a day, and just a teaspoon of pellets morning and evening. Usually excess sticky poops is caused by too much protein from too much dry mix/pellets being given. Also sometimes the rabbit is too fat to reach around, again from too much dry mix/pellets. The grass is very rich this time of year too and I would count that as veg - it always seemed to upset my bunny Maa's tum.

Hay, hay hay.... should help. I did have a bun that had this problem ongoing last year and moved over to Oxbow which is hay based and *touches wood* not had the problem since.

A short cause of fiber-ples alongside the gradual introduction of a low protein high fiber pelleted feed such as SS, A&P or if possible Oxbow and good quality hay should help.

Has she recently started grazing on grass?

Thanks for all the advice:D She isnt overweight and yes she had just been put outside as she was a indoor bunny. Anyway i took her to my vet and he said its possibly just the grass but he gave me some medication to put in her water to balance her gut flora and it has worked a treat, she is happy and healthy munching on grass, hay and minimum pellets. Thanks for your help and suggestions :bunny::thumb::love::love::love:

Its more likely to be too many pellets thats the problem not her veg.does she have alot of pellets to eat?My older bun used to have this problem and in hindsight im wondering if high sugar carrots attributed to it too.

Back