• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit drooling Q.

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
My Abby has developed molar problems recently, and drools down her chin when the spurs need doing.

She started drooling on Saturday, so I thought I'd have to book her in for a dental first thing Monday morning....

...but by Sunday she'd totally stopped drooling, and has been fine since then, and she is eating normally :shock:

So, if her teeth are OK, what else would cause her to suddenly start drooling and then stop just as suddenly?

My Abby has developed molar problems recently, and drools down her chin when the spurs need doing.

She started drooling on Saturday, so I thought I'd have to book her in for a dental first thing Monday morning....

...but by Sunday she'd totally stopped drooling, and has been fine since then, and she is eating normally :shock:

So, if her teeth are OK, what else would cause her to suddenly start drooling and then stop just as suddenly?

It is most likely still her teeth. One of my bad dental buns drooled just once and never again and it was still a molar problem. :)

I agree with Charlie82 - Shayla drools, stops eating normally so I check the vets availablility and the next thing you know she's chomping away again but her teeth still need doing. :)

They tend to drool when the spur scratches soft tissue. Once the initial pain wears off they stop drooling but the problem is still there

Janex :)

She only had a dental 2 weeks previously.

I could understand if she was showing other signs of dental discomfort, but she seems totally fine now.

are you sure she definatley was drooling? I sometimes think Roxy is then realise she's just had her face in a bowl of water :rolleyes:

She only had a dental 2 weeks previously.

I could understand if she was showing other signs of dental discomfort, but she seems totally fine now.

I agree w/ the others. And I have seen tha above before. What you are most likely looking at, is some other teeth causing this problem, not the ones you fix last time

are you sure she definatley was drooling? I sometimes think Roxy is then realise she's just had her face in a bowl of water :rolleyes:

Yeah definitely drool, I felt it between my fingers and had a sniff, didn't have the texture or smell of water.

I think I'd better wait to see if it comes back...I certainly don't want her to have a GA so soon after the last one :(

Abby started drooling again on Sunday, so I took her to the vets last night...turns out she has a wound in her mouth, but not near any teeth, so the vet could only guess that it was caused by an injury, possibly from chewing willow toys, sticks, etc.

I'm a bit concerned in case it turns into an abscess...her mum (who she lives with) has almost definitely got pasteurella, so I'm hoping it's not something she's inherited from mum :(

Oh dear, I don't know whether to be pleased its not teeth or sad. I haven't got any advice I'm afraid but I hope she doesn't get any further problems from it. x

Back