• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

still worried about Nemo ...ideas ?

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
Nemo still isnt right ...

definatly not eating as much as usual ...hardly touching hay at all ...
comes for food ...has a few bites then leaves it .. :(

have tried baytril and metacam....in case of water infection and / or joint pain ( had back injury as a baby ):?

had very small spurs so had dental to put this right ...:?

had urine tested for crystals etc as its realy thinck...came back clear :?

his gut sounds are slower than they should be but is this causing the problem or a by product of another problem ....

gawd dont know what else to try :?

are you sure you're not just panicking? It has been very hot lately and they're bound to be a little lethargic.....just a thought x

Hi:wave:

Sorry to hear Nemo's not right. I have similar problems with one of my boys. He's not 100%. He has to have dentals every few months but wondering whether there's anything else going on too. I'm going to have an x-ray carried out at his next dental to check the tooth roots etc.

Do you think he could have tummy pain? How does he hold himself? Is he crouched uncomfortably or does he look uncomfortbale in himself.

He could have a tummy ulcer which can be caused by stress alone or by other factors such as metacam or pain. I wonder if it would benefit Nemo being on some rantidine/zantac which helps neutralise excess stomach acid and helps to prevent gastric ulceration. Zantac also has an effect on the GI tract.

Have you tried Nemo on any of the herbal mixes by rosewood? My boy will eat this if nothing else when he's not right. He loves the Herbal Garden, it smells scrummy and the busn love it. It has green oat, mint, chamomile, balm and is chopped so easy for bun to pick up and eat. You can buy it from pets at home or from the hay experts and is about £1.99 a bag.

Have you tried him on chopped veggies? Parsley is supposed to be good for stimulating the appetite.

Would also be worth putting some bio lapis in his water to help his gut and may encourage him to drink more. My buns love biolapis.

How long ago did he have his dental? He may still be in pain. Whenever I give my buns metacam I use injectable metacam rather than the drops.

Hope Nemo gets better.
Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hello again :wave:

Have just seen Nemo only had his dental a couple of days ago. He may still be sore from the dental. Sometimes bunnies are not themselves for at least a week afterwards as it makes the teeth sensitive so i would continue with the metacam. You could always up the dose and use injectable metacam rather than drops which I think is more effective and less likely to disrupt tum. I would also think about the Zantac as it protects the tum from excess acid just in case he has a gastric ulcer. Prolonged use of metacam can lead to ulceration aswell as stress, pain etc.

Hugs to Nemo,
Nicola and Harvey xxx

Did the vet feel Nemo's jaw for lumps or bumps?
Did he have any soft tissue damage inside his mouth?

Did the vet feel Nemo's jaw for lumps or bumps?
Did he have any soft tissue damage inside his mouth?

no lumpa and bumps ...no damage in his mouth ..

im seriously thinking his teeth wernt the problem...rather a result of his lack of appetite :(

Well I would hold off for a few more days....it took Lex a while to started eating hay again after her dental and her teeth really were not that bad, but because her mouth felt odd she spent a while grinding her teeth which really panicked me.

What doseage of Metacam is he on?

no lumpa and bumps ...no damage in his mouth ..

im seriously thinking his teeth wernt the problem...rather a result of his lack of appetite :(

Is he having some Ranitidine (Zantac) too? Its an anti GI Ulcer med. If he is on oral Metacam bd then he could well have some GI discomfort.

Janex

ohhh b :censored: :censored: r ..said that wrong :evil:

no

he went off food BEFORE starting on metacam :rolleyes: sorry ...gawd im thick :roll:

OKs well that too will put him at greater risk of GI ulceration. So I would strongly suggest speaking with the Vet about starting him on Ranitidine.
It helped your tum didnt it ;)

Janex :)

Back