• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Arthur's ill U/D still struggling to get better

Kay

Mama Doe
Went out to feed Arthur and Dylan this morning and at first I panicked thinking Arthur had escaped as I couldn't see him. Eventually found him huddled under his hutch. I put pellets in for him and normally he charges at me and starts eating straight away but this morning he just looked at the bowl and turned his nose up. I managed to coax him out with some carrot tops and he did eat a few pellets but not acting normal at all.

I haven't a clue what could be wrong, he is healthy looking, good shiny coat and his teeth are good. His eyes looked a bit hazy. His tummy is nice and soft and his bum is clean.

Its like he is depressed.

x

Last edited:
has he pooed? keep him moving around, get him his fave treats.

if you can't get him to eat much/ or he isn't pooing, get him straight to the vets x

OK thanks, the OH is at home today so I've just told him to look out for poop's and to be ready to go to the vets.

Its really unlike him not to eat much he is normally such a hog.

Sounds like the onset of stasis to me... during which they may still produce a few droppings. I would get him to the vet and have it treated before it gets worse!

Well he is home now. OH took him as I am at work.

Vet thinks that the thunder storms we've had have stressed him out. He has been given the usual statis drugs and we've got to keep and eye on him.

Glad he is home though.

x

He is being given a SS mush mix through the syringe and has eaten a piece of Timmy hay and a bit of herb.

Vet suggested syringing water too which I think most people on here do. He is inside at the moment and seeming more contented apparently.

Thanks for the vibes everyone.

How do you syringe stuff into a rabbit? Mine just won't tolerate the syringe anywhere near his mouth.

when your bun is poorly its really easy.. i never thought id get anything into Alvin till he had stasis and then he had no fight in him i didnt even have to do the bunny burrito that thea posted the other day...

stasis is evil... i really hope Arthur has started to eat and poop

only just seen this - hope he's better soon - sounds like you have a good vet :) I just syringe water when Zinniea goes like this (seems to be connected to scary weather too) and infacol - she usually recovers after a few hours of warm drinkies with the syringe (just 10ml at a time then left for an hour to digest it)

Back