• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flemish

sbunny

New Kit
Hi all,
I have a few questions about flemish giants.
My little girl is 5 months old. At this time I am givin her a huge handfull of greens every morning, about 2.5 cups of pellets and unlimited hay (plus one or two treats) She generally eats all of the greens during the day and finishes off the pellets during the night. But she does not eat very much hay.
What do you feed your flemish?
Also she was just spayed 4 days ago. The vet said I should limiy activity for 10 days, any other suggestions?

I would suggest cutting back on pellets. That's quite a large quantity and she'll probably fill up on those in preference to hay. It's best if rabbits don't have a constant supply of pellets then they'll eat more hay. I would cut back on pellets so that some of the time she only has hay available. For examp[le I feed pellets in the evening and then finish them off the next morning but during the day they only have hay.

Tamsin

I totally agree with Tamsin regarding reducing the pellets. My bonded four only get a bowl per day in the morning to share between them, the rest of the time they eat hay hay hay! Also they get a variety of veggies in the evening.

Regarding the spay, the best thing is to keep her warm as the anaesthetic will make her body temperature drop a little. Don't keep her on woodshavings or straw as these can irritate the wound, use soft towels or vetbed instead. Also, don't let her jump up onto anything - if there's anything she can jump onto, please remove it.

One last thing - can we please have some pictures of your little girly bun? :wave:

AMETHYST

2.5 cup of pellet is a lot, Dr. Susan Brown said that a mature rabbit diet should be 90% hay, w/ the remaining 10% = green, pellets

Hi :wave: I have a full grown Flemish and a large French lop together, and they get about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of pellets between them in the morning, and again last thing at night, the rest of the time they get loads of hay and whatever they nibble on in the garden, as well as a few bits of fresh greens or fruit.
I find if I give them more pellets my Flemish produces excess caecals. :)

Thabks for all the replies. I was under the impression that since she is a baby she should be getting pretty much unlimited pellets. Which is why I give her so much. Is 3/4 of a cup enough for a growing baby?

She seems to be recovering quite nicely from the spay. It's been hard to keep her from jumping up on things though. She lives in our den for the time being and is a couch potatoe. So it's been hard trying to keep her off the sofa when she is out of her pen.

Back