• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is Minstrel eating dirt?!!?

Pipstrel

Mama Doe
I let them out for a run in the garden earlier and Minstrel was digging at and then eating huge lumps of soil :roll: Could there be a reason for this or is he just a bit stoopid?

Helen x

Weird,Gladys was doing this earlier. Our garden is clay based, and where I'd dugout some earth she was throwing around lumps of dried clay and gnawing on them, then digging about in it a bit and eating a bit more.
I know some animals do that to get minerals but my buns have mineral blocks to gnaw on?

If you believe the Naturals loam Gnaw Stones they claim to "encourage the rabbits natural instinct to gnaw at hard earth".

I had never heard of a bun doing it until Monday when someone asked me about it at the Hopper Meeting.

He's only just started doing it, maybe he's trying to tell me he wants more grass :lol: I filmed him doing it so will have to post it later :)

that is so strange that you have mentioned that :shock:

hope and blue have been doing it too today...never noticed them do it before ...then i let Billie in the gatden and he did it too :shock: :shock: :shock:

Horses lick the soil for minerals, even if they have mineral licks and supplements. I guess they would in the wild. I'm sure the buns are doing it for this too. Or it helps with digestion??? xx

Back