• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bored rabbit?

bettyboo

Young Bun
Hi everyone

I thought i'd put this out to the rabbit loving community for some experienced opinions.

I have had one of my rabbits, Bigwig, for about 9 months now and he's just over a year old and neutered.

I introduced a pretty girlfriend to bond with which has subsequently failed as he is SO protective of 'his things' that he attacks her at any opportunity (and I mean attack!).

They share a room but have separate bedrooms and he gets access to the room all day. We spend time with him every morning and night, he gets run of downstairs during the evening and gets free run on the decking during this lovely weather. He has more toys (of different types) than you can shake a stick at and seems to love us and LOVES ear scratches (to the point of distraction!). He's very fit and healthy and gets the best food and hay.

But, he seems constantly bored all the time! He rarely plays with his toys these days, doesn't go in his boxes, was totally unimpressed with running outside (even though his estranged girlfriend goes berserk at the prospect and runs around like a loony!) and spends most of his time sitting in a corner, looking to all intents like 'The General' out if Watership Down! He's even stopped jumping on the sofa for scratches and binky's have become rare.

Is this just a personality thing? What more can we do for him? Is it just a case that some rabbits love to play and some just love to sit and observe?

I'd love to hear about the mix of personalities of others buns out there and what your thoughts are on the above?

Thanks in advance :)

Hmmm........not totally sure. Most babies are very inquisitive and are into everything but many do seem to quieten down as they mature but I would say personality has a good deal to do with it.

My two girls are only just over one year old but I would say they spend 23 out of 24 hours 'resting' - lol!! I'm home all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday and I usually leave the shed door open so they can come out into the garden at will but if I see them 'out and about' for 10 minutes, that's about all they'll manage. Flora and Parsnip, however, who are now just over five years old, are WAY more active in comparison. If they've got access to the garden, they're making the most of it.

Other bunnies I've had would always be 'doing stuff', usually digging holes and more often than not doing something I really didn't want them to do!! But some would just find a sunny spot and sleep in it all day. I think it could be personality but I would suggest a general check-up at the vet, just to make sure he's fully fighting fit. If you can rule out ill health, then you've just got a lazy boy! Typical really.

I've got a lazy one too then. Smudge is 12 weeks old now and doesn't play with toys at all. He is very interested in trying to get into small places that he shouldn't and eat the plants that he shouldn't though. :lol: He has about 5 minutes where he'll run around like a loony but the rest of the time he just sits there. He LOVEs jumping up on me though and seems to love kisses with me. :oops: He keeps coming up for them and I love it! It's sooo cute!

I do wonder if he's just lazy. He's been to the Vets fairly recently when he put his girl in hospital (!) and declared 'fighting fit' ... excuse the pun.

I actualy think he may be a tiny bit on the heavy side so he's getting smaller portions as of today. He's a little piglet and always finds ways to break into the bags of food. Lazy but resourceful.

It's a fair point though ... when he is up to something, it's something he shouldn't be doing!

Cheeky buns. :roll:

Back