• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED...possible Myxi

charlie82

Mama Doe
My friend has just called me saying that she has discovered multiple hard lumps on her rabbit. One on the neck, one on her spine and some on her side. They are rock hard and ranging between a 5 pence piece and a ten pence piece. She said that the bunnies skin feels loose (I'm guessing the rabbit is dehydrated) and one of the lumps is crusty. I'm thinking myxi although there are no lumps around the face.....there is a red lump next to her genitals.

Her rabbits are not vaccinated.....

Does anyone else have any ideas?? she said the rabbit is eating and acting normally but her friend has been more attentive towards her which says to me that she has been ill.

I'm trying to explain that this might be an emergency vet trip but needs opinions from anyone who has experienced anything similar.

I have no experience with Myxi but many people on the forum have and will tell you that the chances of survival are slim but far greater if vaccinated :(

How are her other rabbits? They all need a trip to the vet ASAP and I suppose the best solution for the immediate present is to separate this particular rabbit.

I hope someone else has some more advice and praying that it is not Myxi :(

I would advise that your friend gets the Bun to a Vet tonight. The 'lumps' may be old bite wounds/abscesses and not Myxomatosis but the Bun still requires Veterinary attention

Janex

could well be abscesses like Jane says - if an abscess from a wound is left untreated, it will eventually 'seed' other abscesses, so maybe this is what's happened? Needs a vet anyway.

If they are unvaccinated then it will lead to full blown myxi almost certainly.... there is no chance of survival for this. Please please urge her to take this bun to the vets asap and lets pray that this isn't myxi.

Hi :wave: It sounds like pasturella infection which basically causes abscesses to appear in various areas around the body both internally and externally :cry:. It can be caused by someting a simple as a small bite which could go undetected. The bunny needs to see the vet and if they are abscesses then have them lanced and cleaned, and the rabbit will need antibiotics + painrelief.
Emily x

Hi :wave: It sounds like pasturella infection which basically causes abscesses to appear in various areas around the body both internally and externally :cry:. It can be caused by someting a simple as a small bite which could go undetected. The bunny needs to see the vet and if they are abscesses then have them lanced and cleaned, and the rabbit will need antibiotics + painrelief.
Emily x

thanks! I hadn't though of pasteurellosis. After speaking to my friend she said her husband noticed the first lump on the neck last week and didn't tell her
Now there are quite a few. I've seen a pic of one that looks like it has ruptured and it definitely looks abscessated to me. She is going to get her to the vet.

Last edited:
Nodular myxi is more common in vaccinated rabbits but not impossible in others. If the bun is eating/pooping and acting normally then a vet trip first thing in the morning is probably not going to made a massive amount of difference if she can't find somewhere to take it tonight.

With out seeing the scabs it's very hard to tell. With that sort of distribution it could just as eaily be wound from a fight. Rabbits will roll around when fighting so can get bitten underneath or if the mount backwards.

It could also be a skin probably. Mites can irritate the skin and then the rabbits scratches and you end up with infected scabs.

There are a variety of options so hopefully it's an easy to treat one :)

Tamsin

Nodular myxi is more common in vaccinated rabbits but not impossible in others. If the bun is eating/pooping and acting normally then a vet trip first thing in the morning is probably not going to made a massive amount of difference if she can't find somewhere to take it tonight.

With out seeing the scabs it's very hard to tell. With that sort of distribution it could just as eaily be wound from a fight. Rabbits will roll around when fighting so can get bitten underneath or if the mount backwards.

It could also be a skin probably. Mites can irritate the skin and then the rabbits scratches and you end up with infected scabs.

There are a variety of options so hopefully it's an easy to treat one :)

Tamsin

Thanks Tamsin,

I have only seen a pic of one which looked like an abscessed bite wound (best way I can describe it) however the other lumps are literally under the skin and there is no outside trauma or indication of trauma on the skin surface. My friend said she has quite a lot of these lumps and only one that actually looks abscessated. I think the one next to her genitals is red but the rest are just rock hard lumps under the skin.

The nodular myxi things was bugging me as I wasn't aware if unvaccinated rabbits could contract this particular strain. Thanks for clearing that up for me!!

I think the best advice I could give is to see the vet as like you say there could be a lot of possibilities.

Last edited:
Apparantly the vet thinks it is Myxi, and they aren't doing anything until a biopsy on Wed. Should they not have at least started the bun on antibiotics??:?

Apparantly the vet thinks it is Myxi, and they aren't doing anything until a biopsy on Wed. Should they not have at least started the bun on antibiotics??:?

They should have really yes. If they think it is anything else, like abscesses etc then anit - b's would be the case also. I would have thought they would have put bun on a precautionary dose.... are they rabbit savvy vets?

They should have really yes. If they think it is anything else, like abscesses etc then anit - b's would be the case also. I would have thought they would have put bun on a precautionary dose.... are they rabbit savvy vets?

I thought they would have at least started her on baytril regardless. Well I won't name the vets but it is ran by someone who is supposedly the best rabbit vet in the North East :? although I don't know which vet my friend has seen. I'm a bit frustrated because I don't want to interefere too much but it worries me that my friend doesn't have all that much knowledge on rabbits therefore will just go with what she is told... and i feel like I am interefering by telling her differently.:roll:

It's really odd that the vet hasn't started on a precautionary abx regime given that he seems to think it is myxi. Unless, of course, he's so sure that it is myxi that he doesn't see much point in medicating an unvaccinated bunny whose chances af surviving myxi are fairly slim. I can't see the point in doing a biopsy and then waiting for the result before starting treatment, because if it is abcesses it's surely imperative that abx are started immediately.

Back