• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

which hutch?

hi :wave: im looking at poss getting a new hutch because the one ive got is a Natura 120 from trixie but because the base is on the floor when it rains the whole bottom floor is soaked, either that or i might somehow build the base up so its not on the floor does anyone know which types of wood i should use plus i would like to put a plastic sheet on the base to make it a bit easier to clean what plastic should i use???:? also i know im asking a lot of questions so sorry but does anyone have any tips on how to encourage my buns to use the litter tray ? Butterbean used to but now Tony's moved in they seem to have a 'who can poo everywhere the most' competition :shock: :roll: its not the end of the world but it would be nicer if they would have some decorum :roll::lol:

I would avoid plastic but buy some vinyl tiles instead ... you can choose the expensive option and go to a carpet place, or the more economical variety which you can get from the pound shop in Hounslow or the 99p show in Kingston. Depending on the surface they are going into you may need to glue them down, if you do odo ensure that the glue has dried properly first and that you well ventilate the hutch before putting the buns back into them.

Hello !!! :wave: Tony's doing great I'm sooo in love with him, Butterbean never leaves his side :love: ok that sounds more affordable than a new hutch :shock: what I'll do is wait until its going to be a warm day then get them out early morning and do it then , then i'll put them back in the evening. with the wood shall i just make sure its really strong? should i treat it?

Not sure about hutches, but for litter training it might be a good idea to put their poo's into their poo-tray if they keep missing, and move it to the corner they're most frequently using to relieve themselves. They should soon get the message.

Good luck x Anna

A brick under each edge works fine for legs :D You can buy hutch legs as a kit from some places otherwise a bit of 2"x 2" that's preasure treated should work fine :)

ok brill ta and with the litter tray i already have it in the corner they use and have put their poos in it but butterbean just shoves it out the way with her nose and goes next to it :roll::lol: i cant work out how to weigh it down or anything, she is a complete pain in the :rolleyes::lol:

ok brill ta and with the litter tray i already have it in the corner they use and have put their poos in it but butterbean just shoves it out the way with her nose and goes next to it :roll::lol: i cant work out how to weigh it down or anything, she is a complete pain in the :rolleyes::lol:

How about using a huge litter tray. If you can pm me the size of space you have. I may have a small indoor cage base you can use.

I have 2 happy hutches, but I may get one of these!

I use lino in the bottom of the hutches and shed, to make the cleaning easier. I got a damaged roll from the bargain bin at B&Q. No need to glue it, just cut to size then staple some strips of wood around the edges to keep it fixed, and stop any edges being chewed. Makes it easy to replace as well.

whoa !!!!!!!!!!! they,re huge !!!:shock: they're fantastic. ive sorted the litter tray prob out now ive found that they'll go to the toilet on straw so i think ive got that part sussed now but thanks for the offer of the big tray :) i did look at some sort of shed thing that they had loads of room to move in but i dont have a great deal of money at mo so i'd need to save to get some thing big but they're def something to keep an eye out for i had no idea they even made kennels like that !!! they must be similar to what the cattery's use.

Back