• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

birds of prey

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Hello all
As a follow-on from my question about foxes, will birds of prey take any size rabbit or just babies? I live in Essex and am not sure what birds of prey there are locally and don't want to take any chances.

This may seem a stupid question but..er..:oops: is my yorkshire terrier safe too?

Hi,
The only native BOP that would pose any threat to rabbit would be a buzzard, and they are pretty much everywhere now. Saying that though, most of their diet is carrion, small mammals and even earthworms so probably unlikely that they would tackle an adult healthy rabbit, especially in your garden!

Sparrowhawks will only take birds up to pigeon size, and kestrels will eat mice, voles and small birds.

I would have thought the only bird that would cause a real threat to pet bunnies (and yorkies :shock:) would be an eagle owl. They are not native, but it has been known for the odd pet bird to escape. :shock: Lets just hope they don't start establishing themselves in the wild! :?

Buzzard's prey are wild rabbits so they will try a domestic rabbit if they get a chance. Kestral, hobbies & merlin are all too small. I also wouldn't put it past a red kite, although they are scavengers but its all about opportunity. Red kites commonly fly over the garden so I don't let mine run round the garden unattended just incase. Larger owls would also find domestic rabbits easier prey too.

Hi Tinsel :wave: I'm glad you asked that question because only one week ago, I was stood on my backdoor step when a kestrel (I think), swooped out of nowhere and pinned a starling to the ground. I stood there, stunned, before the kestrel eventually flew off with its catch. The rabbits were out in the garden at the time and I have to say, they didn't take the slightest bit of notice. This did surprise me because they usually take flight when a helicopter or light aircraft flies overhead and are very wary of anything large in the sky.

Like others, I thought a Buzzard would pose a threat and they are Britain's most common bird of prey. Some owl's could be a threat but are generally more likely to be hunting at dusk when our bunnies are safely tucked away for the night. I do supervise my bunnies in the garden but, to be honest, with the speed at which the kestrel struck, I don't think you'd stand a chance at intervening if a buzzard did attempt to take a pet bun. I had no idea it was there and it had struck and was gone before my brain re-engaged and I could think what to do.

It's one of those times when you've got to weigh up quality of life over risk. And it is a fairly small risk when all said and done. I think foxes pose a greater threat.

are you sure it was a kestrel? it sounds like a sparrowhawk to me. we've had some zoom into the garden and swipe the odd small bird up to starling size from my bird feeder. they are very fast......kestrels, i'm sure tend to hover over their prey before they swoop down!

Hello all
As a follow-on from my question about foxes, will birds of prey take any size rabbit or just babies? I live in Essex and am not sure what birds of prey there are locally and don't want to take any chances.

This may seem a stupid question but..er..:oops: is my yorkshire terrier safe too?

Exercise caution is all you can do. I don't think a little yorkie would be safe if there was a big enough bird of prey in the vicinity.

My dep had her rabbits and gps running round the garden one day when a bird swooped down and lifted her rather rotund nethy x off the ground. Luckily she was dropped again, but my dep panicked and rounded all the animals up.

The nethy had claw marks in her back and is one lucky bun!

Hi Gill :wave: I'm pretty sure it was a kestrel coz I looked it up in my bird book and on the internet after I'd got over the shock! It would only have been a female or young kestrel - certainly didn't have the colouring for a male. It didn't seem to have any pale areas on it's face like a sparrowhawk would. It could also have been hovering some feet above without me being able to see it. I was stood just inside the conservatory so it could easily have been hovering above without me being able to see it. However, without a photograph (and I'm no bird expert), who's to say for sure. All I know is that it was bleedin' quick and I had a tear in my eye for a while afterwards thinking about the poor starling! I had to convince myself that the kestrel/sparrowhawk had a nest of starving babies to feed or I would have burst into tears!

I would think it is unlikely most birds if prey could carry of a rabbit, they might try but would struggle to fly, unless it was a small one. Most of them aren't that big, a buzzard might manage, but they do tend to go for carrion and inhabit open fields.
Eagle owls, on the other hand, would be a big worry for rabbit, cat and small dog owners, and it is believed that some may be breeding in Britain.

We noticed a buzzard circling above the garden when the bunny was out on his lead.... do only supervised playtime on the grass for munch now :(

We are plagued by other people's cats and Hubby said he'd love a European Eagle Owl - known to take cats. :lol: He was joking but they are HUGE. Don't think they are common over here though. :lol:

I've seen barn owls and tawnys go for small wild rabbits in the fields round us, so I wouldn't put it past them. Kestrals will also feed on the ground occasionally so if they can pin a bunny down they might kill it. Having flown various birds of prey myself I know that size is no guarantee - just cause a kestral is not very big doesn't mean it doesn't get bloomin' hungry occasionally!

You probably don't need to worry in Essex, but pergerines, ospreys and eagles will all take rabbits and probably Yorkshire terriers. The only other one that springs to mind is a harris hawk, which are suspected to be breeding in the south of the country.

People laugh at me when I tell them this, but never underestimate badgers either. They're not that rare anymore and I've seen one kill four chickens at one go. If they weren't so cute I'd have been cross!

Hi there I share your concern too, I live near Welney in the fens where there are buzzards and lots of owls, so i have put a mesh barrier over the rabbit garden during the day and I don't leave them out at night as their garden isn't fox proof and I have two that haven't bonded yet, it is a worry though but luckily i am here most of the day and have 3 dogs so hopefully that is a deterrent as catching a big bird to a spaniel would be like handing us a gold bullion :D

Hi Tinsel :wave: I'm glad you asked that question because only one week ago, I was stood on my backdoor step when a kestrel (I think), swooped out of nowhere and pinned a starling to the ground. I stood there, stunned, before the kestrel eventually flew off with its catch. The rabbits were out in the garden at the time and I have to say, they didn't take the slightest bit of notice. This did surprise me because they usually take flight when a helicopter or light aircraft flies overhead and are very wary of anything large in the sky.

Like others, I thought a Buzzard would pose a threat and they are Britain's most common bird of prey. Some owl's could be a threat but are generally more likely to be hunting at dusk when our bunnies are safely tucked away for the night. I do supervise my bunnies in the garden but, to be honest, with the speed at which the kestrel struck, I don't think you'd stand a chance at intervening if a buzzard did attempt to take a pet bun. I had no idea it was there and it had struck and was gone before my brain re-engaged and I could think what to do.

It's one of those times when you've got to weigh up quality of life over risk. And it is a fairly small risk when all said and done. I think foxes pose a greater threat.

OMG what about Parsley:shock: what about Flora:shock::lol::lol::lol:

People laugh at me when I tell them this, but never underestimate badgers either. They're not that rare anymore and I've seen one kill four chickens at one go. If they weren't so cute I'd have been cross.

I would agree about badgers, they a much more of a concern, wire won't stop them, they are very strong and another worry to poultry keepers as they will break into a hen house and get the chicken, I would guess a hutch would be just as appealing.

:lol::lol::wave: Hi Alan! Flora and Parsnip are just fine - in fact the reason that Flora didn't take any notice of the bird of prey was because she was down the back of the shed digging a World War 1 trench!!!!! Parsnip was out in the open but with the amount of tufty fur that's falling out of him at the moment, he looks about three sizes bigger than he actually is. I keep grooming it out and the next day, it's all back again - he should be bald!

hi Mackers, had a look at the RSPB website and checked my bird book too. still think it may be a sparrowhawk. they have a tendency to zoom between 2 buildings at speed to catch their prey. this is what i've witnessed in my garden on a few occassions-it's that fast its as if they appear from nowhere.... they don't always succeed in catching a bird either but the s/hawk we had pinned the starling to the ground which is identical to your description. the starling made a terrible noise, then when we went out to look the s/hawk justed lifted it and flew away...........
last week i went to a bird of prey centre and became part of a demo when they asked 2 adults to stand toe to toe. the handler stood next to us with a bit of food and a harris hawk flew between the 2 of us.....a very small gap.......
a kestrel is about 13-14 inches while a sparrowhawk can be slightly bigger at up to 16 inches, according to the book i have.
a buzzard is 20-22 inches.
i had an amazing time at the bird of prey centre, was totally fascinating.......would go back again.
and in case anyone is wondering they are fed chicken............

Back