• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

vhd CAUTION DISTRESSING TOPIC re making of vaccs and alternatives

bunlover

Warren Veteran
i have recently found out that the vhd vaccine is made from samples taken from a rabbit who has been infected and died due to the disease. my question is this are there other ways of creating this vaccine?and if so are the vaccines created not using samples from killed animals available on request from your vet.
also how many vaccines can be made per animal which is destroyed? is it worth the risk to not vaccinate and therefore save the lab animals? or does one lab death mean millions of pet animals are saved and therefore almost justifiable., i have always previously vaccinated my rabbits and am concerned to find this new information, and am seriously considering chancing not vaccs next year.

There was a thread about this awhile ago, but I can't search VHD :roll: I believe SOAD was trying to get this info from the manufacturers?

I am very disturbed by this :evil:

I think we need to find out for sure before you even think of stopping the vaccinations :shock:

Yeah it's very distressing, I am still vac'ing for VHD, but I'd kind of put this to the back of my mind, it is truely awfull :cry:

Audrey went to her new home before she was due her vaccination again so I didn't have to consider whether I'd have had her vaccinated, but I don't think I would have done. I would have used homeopathic instead.

There was definitely a thread on this a while back.

Personally I'd not risk not vaccinating (as long as the bunny was healthy enough). Horrible that it is, remember Su lost bunnies to VHD that were homeopathically vaccinated.

There was definitely a thread on this a while back.

Personally I'd not risk not vaccinating (as long as the bunny was healthy enough). Horrible that it is, remember Su lost bunnies to VHD that were homeopathically vaccinated.

Yep, but what about the buns that are killed to make the vaccine, I don't see mine as being more important as them. It's such a hard call :cry::cry:

Yep, but what about the buns that are killed to make the vaccine, I don't see mine as being more important as them. It's such a hard call :cry::cry:

Oh I know... but it would be so awful to lose bunnies and know that it could have been prevented. :(

Yeah there is only a chance we could lose ours though, the rabbits that are used to make the vaccine are killed :cry::cry:.

So why am I in the business to help save rabbits, but then in turn have others rabbits murdered to protect the ones with me, from a possibility of getting a decease they may never get?

It don't make sense in my head. :(

I guess for me it depends on whether you could reconcile yourself to the idea that you were taking a risk, and that you mustn't feel guilty or too awful if the worst happened, and VHD were to wipe out one or more bunnies. :( I know I would just feel too awful/responsible.

I guess for me it depends on whether you could reconcile yourself to the idea that you were taking a risk, and that you mustn't feel guilty or too awful if the worst happened, and VHD were to wipe out one or more bunnies. :( I know I would just feel too awful/responsible.

It's a horrible situations :(

The fact is that most medicines have been tested on animals first, even your animal medicines. If nothing else they will have had an LD50 test, although I believe this is being phased out.
I think it is horrific that animals are dying to save mine, but I will still vaccinate in the hope that another way will be found.We pay £15 for VHD vaccines, so to be honest I would think quite a few vaccines will be made from one rabbit, for it to be cost effective:cry:.
I can't defend my decision except that I want to protect my rabbits, is it right to sacrifice another- NO, but I have no choice at the moment.

yes sorry to bring this up agian guys just really wanted to know if there were any alternatives eg metacam is not licensed in rabbits but we use it.... so if there was an unlicensed version i would prefer to try that that is all. i havent made up my mind about what i will do next year it is too late mine have had this years vaccs. i honestly can only say since posting this iv researched a lot and it would appear that many vaccs are made per liver.not that it makes it right, but it does some how make you feel that it is less of a sacrifice, if many are saved by one. also does anyone know the actual % odds of a domestic pet rabbit catching vhd, so i can see what the likely hood and how big a risk it is to /or not to vaccs. thankyou for everyones replys.

How I like to look at it is if you don't use the vaccinations then all those poor bunnies die for nothing! They kill some rabbits so that others can live disease free and if you don't vaccinate then all of those lost lives will have been for nothing! I know it is awful to think about.

yes sorry to bring this up agian guys just really wanted to know if there were any alternatives eg metacam is not licensed in rabbits but we use it.... so if there was an unlicensed version i would prefer to try that that is all. i havent made up my mind about what i will do next year it is too late mine have had this years vaccs. i honestly can only say since posting this iv researched a lot and it would appear that many vaccs are made per liver.not that it makes it right, but it does some how make you feel that it is less of a sacrifice, if many are saved by one. also does anyone know the actual % odds of a domestic pet rabbit catching vhd, so i can see what the likely hood and how big a risk it is to /or not to vaccs. thankyou for everyones replys.

The vaccine is a safe preparation of the virus so there cannot be an alternative that isn't licensed. The VHD vaccine works because it is catering for VHD.

Back