• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neutering

this may sound like a stupid question but should i get Butterbean neutered ? Tony's castrated so don't worry they'll be no baby buns from here but I've heard that its quite a risky op for females and i can't work out if its necessary or not i just wondered what the pros and cons are because i'd be gutted if i lost her then found out the op wasn't necessary. will it change her personality at all? i really don't know what to do? :?

Here's the info I have picked up from books and on this forum:

It will reduce her hormones, so should make her less aggresive (especially in breeding season)

For females it also reduces the risk of cancer in later years, which females are quite prone too.

If she ever escapes it also stops her coming back pregnant :lol:

Of course there is a risk involved with all operations, it is very invasive. If you can find a decent vet who has done many before then the risks should be low.

Is she in perfect health at the moment?

I am planning to get my two ladies done :)

Oh and check out this thread
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=84269

yeah she's in good health (touch wood) she has what i call a bunny m.o.t. every 6months to a year :lol: that's just for my own peace of mind, these guys are my first so i like to make sure I'm doing everything right. i think i will get it done i never thought about wild rabbs :oops: how long do i have to keep her separate to heal as i have only had Tony a little while, he was a rescue and i don't want him to think hes on his own again.

yes, I would get her spayed. If she gets uterine cancer and it's caught in time she would have to have an emergency spay which would be much harder for a poorly rabbit to recover from. Best to have it done now while she is healthy.

Back