• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what to do *dental question*

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
Crystals 2 back molars seem to be growing fast shes so far had 2 dentals to trim them in about 2 months well i can tell that shes ready for another one from the way shes eating and she keeps moving her mouth when she lying down all signs that she shows when shes ready for another one well ive been thinking maybe it might be best to have her 2 back molars removed fully just wondered what peoples thoughts on this was? she has an appointment at the vets tomorrow so can disscuss it with the vet i would just rather have a few opinions from you lot, also roughly how much would it be to get 2 molars removed? im guessing it will cost more then a basic dental.

i dont know ive enevr had a dental bunny, i suppose if there are needing to be done often maybe it would be best? hopefulyl sum1 who has dental bunnies will know!

but sending lots of vibes for crystal!! x

i thought vets could remove molars :oops::oops: luckily myvet hasnt actually said this i just had it in my head that they could be removed :oops: so yeah dont think il talk about it with the vet she'll think im thick or something :oops:

My Phoebe is a dental bun - she had her first treatment a fortnight ago, me & my husband were discussing what we'd do if she had to have very frequent dentals in the future & thought removing the molars could be an option because i thought molars could be removed too :oops: I hope Crystal gets all sorted soon & that her mouth isn't too sore :wave:

Hi, I have a dental bun and he has to have his teeth (molars) done about every 4 weeks. He has them done conscious and then every few months a GA. He comes out fine after his monthly dentals and eats straight away without any problems.

I too asked my vet (exotics expert) about removal of the molars but he shook his head and would not entertain it. He prefers to keep the situation "under control" as best we can by the regular dentals. I must admit that this does seem to work for Homer.

I did lose a rabbit after an op that involved the removal of a molar (and eye as there was an abcess) and wish that I had never put him through the op. I thought I was doing the right thing at the time but the op was just too much for him.

Can you get Crystal to eat more hay (nothing I do will get Homer to eat hay which is obviously why he does have problems.)

Don't be embarrassed about asking your vet questions.

thats a problem with Crystal she doesnt eat hay at all my fault really as i never knew the importance of it when i bought her so she really lived months without it. but loves grazing on the grass which ive heard is also good for keeping their teeth down.

i dont mind paying monthly for dentals i just thought having teh molars removed completely would be better for her and me but obviously not i wouldnt want to risk her life for nothing.

grass is good for keeping teeth trim too, if she isnt a big hay eater then you could always pick grass for her daily? x

Vets will not remove molars unless they are already loose, or there is an underlying infection/abscess in the root. It's a risky procedure as access to the molar usually has to be done via the jaw bone, as it's difficult to remove them directly from the mouth unless they are loose. Even if offending molars are removed it doesn't always eliminate the need for dentals, as depending on teeth removed you will be left with a 'step' and that will need burring every so often depending on the growth rate of the teeth.

If Crystal eats grass I would give her lots of it if it doesn't upset her tummy. I would also give her plenty of greens including dandelion leaves and have her on science selective. Try offering her different varieties of hay and chopping it into smaller pieces. I always give mine meadow hay, excel herbage and excel forage and they like the variety. I also found that with a dental bun I used to have who refused to eat hay she would eat alfalfa and timothy hay cubes if I crushed them up :)

Back