• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do anyone else's rabbits ignore them

ailz

Alpha Buck
I have 2 houserabbits, they used to live in the living room with us, but took themselves off upstairs and picked a room they'd like to live in. They chose the biggest bedroom which we turned into their room. For a time the little one used to come down and see us, but he's stopped doing it now. We both spend time sitting in their room with them, but they mainly ignore us. Tosh, the little one, who is about 3 now will come for nose rubs sometimes, but Tish just avoids us. They seem happy enough, binkying and running around - sometimes it sounds like there's a herd of them up there.

Do you think they're okay?

Weve found most rabbits are more like cats...independent things, especially when they have eachother, happier just doing their own thing and coming to you when they want something:lol: Its partly why we love them but oh so frustrating sometimes as you just want to scoop them up and give them cuddles and have a good play with them:oops: Our Earl is the onlybun who comes to us for cuddles and attention now...the others used to as babies but now theyre totally aloof:) Youre not alone!

:wave:

They sound happy to me:D. Some of mine ignore me and I think they find me more of a pest and a hindrance because I have to check them over:lol::lol:.
I had a female house bunny who actually ignored me constantly for 3 months because I had to have a bun put to sleep because he had an abcess in his jaw that had gone that big it was blocking his throat, because I took him to the vets and he didn't comeback she went in a mood with me. The funny thing was though that they weren't bonded and she lived with her partner in the house and the other lived in of of the sheds.
She would only let my o/h check her over or feed her.

I would be suprised if my rabbits paid me attention when I didn't have a plate of food for them, although Maa did use to like a stroking session, probably because she was a singleton :)

I think they get more friendly to humans as they grow older.

When I was young we had a giant rabbit who was vicious, biting ankles, hated being picked up, spraying. Only in his last few years did he actually come up to us for attention :lol:

two of mine will only come to me for food and Honey is starting to tolerate strokes but not for very long. The other, sooty, who I had from 8 weeks is lovely and friendly, whilst he probably wont come up and demand strokes he will hop on your lap for a bit and loves being stroked when he's lying down on the floor. All of them run around the house when let out but will generally come & sit in the living room with us. We feed them their tea on the couch and so they are always up to see if there is any more there. They all don't mind being picked up that much as they always know they'll get a treat when put down.

Back