• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to keep a wound disinfected?

christelle

Young Bun
Hi! My bunny tore one of his nails on his front left paw after jumping from his cage on to the floor. I rushed him to the vet as he was bleeding a bit, and luckily the nail fell off before the vet had to take it out himself! I asked the vet to give him a painkiller injection before he even touched him, and afterwards he gave him anti-biotics shot and cauterised the wound. Twitch seems fine and is running around as usual now (this happened sunday morning, of course!:roll:), but the vet mentioned that the worse case scenario is that the infection attacks the bone, in which case we need an amputation!:shock:
He said that I shouldn;t need to do anythg, but I want to make sure it doesn;t get infected, so does anyone have any tips? I heard about salt and water but my o/h said it would be too agressive, so I tried diluting a bit of the disinfectant used in hospitals with water and put that on the wound....
any tips would help! Thanks!

mine have lost a nail before with no problems. If the bleeding has stopped and the vet has already given an antibiotic injection then there should be no need to bathe it, infact you might make it worse by softening the scab and allowing infection in.

you can boil some water and add a pinch of salt. When its cooled down you can bathe the wound with that.

Oh god!!! Well I only did it once the next morning when I thought I saw him limp a little bit... but haven't done it since as he's now hopping around like mad!
Thanks though, I'll know for next time!!

I would just advise keeping him in a clean hutch for a couple of days, or just a run indoors, to minimise germs - grass, soil, dirt outside from birds etc. should be avoided - my bunny Tia had a nail break off when I first got her, and she dripped blood all over the carpet. I didn't treat it in any way, and she kept it clean being indoors, so there was no problem.

that's great advice thanks. He's on a balcony so has no contact with grass or soil or other animals, so fingers crossed he should be fine...

i had to bathe willows for several days..she tore hers out from the nail bed....she had painkiler jab..good ole antibiotics..yep baytril..mm with a mad frenchie..not easy..
normallly he recommends boiled water cooled to warm and salt bathed two to three times daily.....but in the end he gave me some hibiscrub to be sure as shes a house bun but free range with bertie..and two cats...better safe than sorry.
once it seems to not look raw..then leave the bathing off..it needs to dry up and scab over.

Back