• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eating less...

cheryl21

Warren Scout
My bunnies have been eating less recently - could this be due to the hot weather - they have both had their teeth checked and they are ok.

They are eating greens ok, but it seems to be the pellets they are going off - strange!!!!:?

I have problems with this - they dont eat enough hay!!! I've tried cutting down pellets but Stella still wouldn't go near hay and got a bit ill :(

hay can vary hugely, so it's worth shopping around farm shops, riding stables, markets, or online suppliers to find one they like. My bunny Maa never ate a lot of hay though - like you I cut her pellets right back and she nearly died as a result - I then figured high fibre (science selective) pellets were better than nothing, and she would eat a bit of hay if I gave her a fresh handful, so I gave her fresh a few times a day to encourage her - she always had more than double the pellets I give the other bunnies though.

If yours are on grass now they are probably not as hungry, and it's just as good for them as hay once their tums have got used to it :)

sorry for the late reply - i have been away.

they live in the outhouse but have a catflap leading out into their run, which is on the patio. I have grown some grass in tubs (everyone thinks i'm mad!!!) for them, which are now in the run so it might be that I suppose, although the tubs have been oin there a while, before they cut back.

However, they seems to be pretty much back to normal now.

And like you, I have tried every diddferent type of hay going, pet shops, farm shops, online - I think Stella is just fussy!!

Back