• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I feeding him enough pellets??

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
Just wondering if I am feeding Evo enough pellets? He is on A&P mainly, but also has a few pellets of SS as pictured. During the rest of the day he has about a teaspoon of porridge oats as treats (spread over the day), about 5 more SS pellets and a teaspoon more of A&P at bed time. Apart from that, he has unlimited timothy hay, as he can't have veg. He maintains his weight fine, just wondering if he gets enough pellets in terms of vitamins? I try to keep them to a minimum, to encourage hay eating, as he's a dental bun needing regular dentals.

This is the amount - takes him about an hour to eat it all (over a few "sittings")

DSC00168.jpg

And the "all gone" pose :lol:

DSC00169.jpg

I think I'd stop giving porridge oats, and increase the amount of pellets slightly. Pellets should (in theory) contain vitamins to help his teeth and bones.

Awwwwww...those piccies :D:D:D

Had to comment on how cute those pics are!!!

Is that Evo's shadow and two front feet in the top pic?

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I too would stop the porridge and bump up the pellets slightly. Maybe so that the bottom of his bowl is completely covered as he isn't getting any veg. You can also get some rabbit vitamins from places like p@H which you put in the water.

I think I'd stop giving porridge oats, and increase the amount of pellets slightly. Pellets should (in theory) contain vitamins to help his teeth and bones.

I'd agree with this. I only give a wee bit more than you do per rabbit (about an egg cup full each), although I am doing about 2/3 Science and 1/3 Allen and Page.

I asked my vet about porridge and he said that the problem with giving it is that it fills them up without giving them the goodness that the same amount of other foods provide. He didn't recommend it even as a way of building up poorly bunnies. I do understand though, that there are loads of experienced bunny people on here who do feed it so I am none the wiser really!

I don't know anyone that uses vitamin additives as they should get sufficient from their normal diet. I suppose this will depend on what else your bunny Evo (who is very cute :D) is happy to eat if he hasn't got the best teeth.

Last edited:
my active girls get that amount of pellets twice a day, as they burn it off, but I give Benny that amount split into morning and evening - he's a lazy boy! I too would cut out the porridge oats from your bunny's diet - he's not underweight and doesn't need them at all - just give him a couple more SS pellets if you want him to do something or as a treat :)

I too would cut out the porridge oats from your bunny's diet - he's not underweight and doesn't need them at all - just give him a couple more SS pellets if you want him to do something or as a treat :)

That's a fair point, he loves his SS as much as the oats.

Originally Posted by Nicola3

Is that Evo's shadow and two front feet in the top pic?

Originally posted by Rallybunny
Yeah, I was depriving him of his brekkie taking pics.

That is just tooooooo cute!!!

Awwwww...you can see his little feeties and the shadow of his little head on the carpet...bless him!!! He looks like he's waiting patiently for his grub :lol:.

I love Evo!!!

Sending him big squidgy snuggles,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Originally posted by Rallybunny

He never waits patiently. He runs round and round and round and round and round.......................

He is just super scrummy!!! :D:D:D

Nicola and Harvey xxx

aaaawwwwww

Your bun is just beautiful, I've been worrying about how much to give my bun too, only instead of heaving a bigger dish like yours, I use a minute one and nearly fill it up, once a day, sometimes split it up half and half, but give her plenty of hay all day and the odd vegetable peelings. Mine also runs round and round like a mad hatter, which worrys me almost like she hasnt been fed for days! xx:wave:

All of mine go bonkers when it's time to dish out the pellets. I think of this as a good sign, the day they don't you know that there is something wrong and can attend to it quickly. This is one way that I have caught gut stasis early on four separate occasions recently.

One of my housebuns, Arnold Monkfish runs around the kitchen constantly until he gets his veg in the morning, then he just likes to snooze.:D

Back