• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxes and horses

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Hello all
I'm lucky enough to live in the countryside and the garden backs on to a field containing five horses. I'd like my bunnies to be free range in the garden (shed for night time) but am worried about fox-snatches, even during the day, having read some other posts. Having said this, in over ten years of living here there's never been a sighting of a fox or evidence of a visit and I'm wondering if that's because the horses keep them away. Anyone shed any light on this? My rabbits are rescues and I'm keen to give them the best and freest life possible but need to balance that with safety..

Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi! :wave:

I'm in the same boat, my orchard backs onto a field of cows. We do see a fox around occasionally, but he's not massively keen on the cows, especially when they have their calves with them. My chickens free range during the day in the spring and summer when the foxes aren't very hungry, but stay locked up in their run in the winter. That said, last spring a fox walked bold as brass onto my driveway and snatched Errol the cockrel right off the gate:( - you can't trust the little devils.

I'd probably be a bit more wary about letting my bunnies free range, mostly because of birds of prey, and badgers will sometimes take small mammals too. Could you maybe set up a big fenced-off area instead, perhaps around the shed so they can come and go as they please? That way they've got somewhere to hide if a hawk comes, and you can keep an eye on them too.

Hi :wave:
Thanks for this. Badgers shouldn't be a problem in this area and the garden is very securely fenced, but birds of prey are a bit of a worry. What sort do I need to watch out for? Will magpies take live rabbits? Certainly the two babes will be firmly in the small but enclosed run while they are tiny.

I wouldn't give them free range because no matter what you do some animal will find a way into your garden eventually, it's not worth the risk.

A big run should keep them happy :)

Ooooh lucky you... :D My next move will be to a small holding and i cannot wait!

If you are in the countryside i woudlnt let them run free range, you have hawks and buzzards and i think (dont quote me on it) domesticated rabbits aer not as inclined to watch out for overhead predators. Foxes also don't really want to be seen so if you have open fields around you you are sure to have at least one fox in your midst...

I would get them an enclosed run, as big as you want it which you could easily pop open and set up when you are in the garden... Buns don't need to be free range although some people do let them but only when they are supervised... As long as they have enough space for a mad five minutes and then nibble at things during the day a run will be fine for them:D

All birds of prey will take rabbits if they can. I don't know what area of the country you're in, but our biggest problem down here is buzzards and owls (not that I'm complaining; love 'em!) Magpies shouldn't be a big problem, unless they go for teeny baby buns, but sparrowhawks and kestrels are everywhere and they'll take anything.

The other issue that's struck me is stray dogs - we get a lot of those. Mostly second home owners who think because they're in the countryside leads aren't necessary (not that I'm prejudiced or anything). Perhaps a nice big covered run would be the best option. You could even link it to the shed so they can go in and out?

Hi :wave:

I doubt very much horses would keep foxes away. I wouldn't recommend letting them run free range during the day either. Much safer to have a large secure run and let them run free range supervised when you are around. I find mine spend most of the day sleeping anyway so don't mind being in their enclosure and then they come alive when I let them out in their pen on an evening.

Lian x

Thanks everyone. There's no access to garden by wild rabbits, as it's very securely fenced all round, but I don't want to lose my bunnies to predators. There is a lot of cover in the garden and trees/bushes they can sit under, but I guess supervised is best...

Back