• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny help please - Had his op and ok, He just died 8-(

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
One of my rescue bunnies is a bit poorly, he went off his food. I took him to my Mom's with me. I have syringed him a bit of food, he's very lively (exploring about), he's drank water, he's had a massive wee on me :rolleyes:, he's since eat some food by himself, but he's not had a poo yet?

I've given him some infacol and some metcam, he's also had tummy rubs (that's when the wee came), but he doesn't seem ill enough to have a dose of metaclopamide, help?

Last edited:
Bunny Help Please

Hi,

Is he bloated? Also what is he being fed on? How much is he drinking? Has he had anything different to eat? Any other symptoms?

Karen

Thanks guys, he seems well which is the weird thing, I didn't want to give him a stimulant if he seemed to be getting better, but at the same time didn't want to not if he needed one, if you get me.

When i got bobby he went into stasis cos of the new inviroment so i took him to the vets and i explained that hi poos were very small and hard and were stopping altogether so they gave him metroclopromide to stimulate his gut,he was fine in himself,would it not do him any harm,hope all goes well tree.

Bunny Help

Hi,

If he does not seem too bad and is drinking, i would give him a probiotic in his water, avipro, this should settle things down, if he still has not had a poo in a few hours i would give him a dose of califig, 0.2ml max in 1ml warm water, this should get him moving, although may need a couple of doses, but i would also keep him on the avipro for a few days.

Karen

Thanks guys, I have metoclop here, my vet gave it me as it was costing me £125 a time to get a shot of it at emergency vets :rolleyes:. He's just eat a spring green and is trying to pull the wire out of the back of the laptop, so he's quite playfull, not what I would call a "sick" bunny. He's got no bloat or tummy noise.

I did wonder if his teeth were bad, but I've had a look with my ostoscope thingy and can't really see anything, but guess I wouldn't if it was right at back as he struggled a bit. I will get him into vets tomorrow and he's due his neuter on Tuesday next week.

I wonder if the sun has got to him, I'll put him in the big run out of the sun before work tomorrow.

Do you think I should hold off the metclop?

Hi,

If he does not seem too bad and is drinking, i would give him a probiotic in his water, avipro, this should settle things down, if he still has not had a poo in a few hours i would give him a dose of califig, 0.2ml max in 1ml warm water, this should get him moving, although may need a couple of doses, but i would also keep him on the avipro for a few days.

Karen

What is califig? I syringed him some probotics, but will put some in his water too, as he is drinking.

He sounds pretty happy at the moment especially if he's eating. Might just be it's not poop time in his schedule yet. Plus some bunnies cross their legs if they're not a home. Has he got a litter tray there?

Bunny Help

Hi,

By what you have said he seems quite healthy, all i would do, without seeing him is give him a dose of avipro, he sounds like he does not need anything at all. If any more symptoms become apparent then i would deal with accordingly,

Karen

Nope, do you think I should get it :oops:? If anything he's come out of his shell a bit and been quite lively, he suits house better than hutch :D

Hi,

By what you have said he seems quite healthy, all i would do, without seeing him is give him a dose of avipro, he sounds like he does not need anything at all. If any more symptoms become apparent then i would deal with accordingly,

Karen

Ok thank you, they're a bloomin worry :lol:

Bunny Help

Hi,

Califig is what we use in small doses to deal with symptoms of bloat, gently gets them on the move, it is what our parents used to use, syrup of figs, but under a different name now, i have used this lots of times, i have had rabbits nearly all my life but bred and shown since 1987, if they have had bloat this helps i hve only ever lost one.

Karen

Ah right, is it similar to infacol, for gripping wind? He's had some of that with some tummy rubs.

Bunny help

Hi,

If he stops eating for just over a day and is still not pooing then we have to deal with it, at the moment see how he goes by morning as seems quite happy. Personally if he was my rabbit i would not give anything unless needed, can be difficult for diagnosis without seeing him. I do not give anything unless needed, if you do the imune system has nothing to fight with.

Basically though, give avipro as a precaution, as this does not hurt anything.

Hope he is totally back to normal tomorrow.

Karen

Thanks for your help :wave:, I will get him into the vets tomorrow for a check up, hopefully it was a weird fluck, but nothing is ever simple where the buns are concerned. :rolleyes::lol::lol:

Thanks so much. :D

Bunny Help

Hi

No, infacol helps with the pain, that is why it is used on babies, califig, helps if you cannot go to the loo! My parents used to give me syrup of figs to help me go when i was young, it is very gentle on the tummy.

So if your rabbit gets bloat or cannot go to the loo for a poo :lol: give califig in small doses with warm water, if grinding teeth in pain give also small amount of infacol, but also use pro-biotic in the water, depending how bad, either critical care or avipro, but also talk to someone who can advise.

Karen

Back