• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to give veg?

badger

Young Bun
Hi

Our first lot of babies are now 7 weeks old, they had to be taken away from mum at just 4 weeks and they are great, growing fine, etc and have been to the vets for check ups at 4 weeks and 6 weeks.

Anyway, can I give them carrot or broccoli, etc yet? Or is it still too early.

Unless they've had veggies before I would wait untill they are 4 months.
How come you got them so early? Not to scare you or anything but taking them from mom at 4 weeks can cause problems in the future, even if they look fine now:cry:

You could try them with a tiny amount at a time.I started with a tiny amount of spring green then parsley:D

Will maybe try them with a little bit this week, I kinda feel they are missing out?

We have the mum and dad which we thought were 2 sisters, we've had them since April 2007 and then there was nest building which we thought was one of them having a phantom. Hubby kept checking to make sure there were no babies but one morning (Easter Tuesday) there were. So we had then took the one out when we established which was which and they have been separated ever since. She had 4 babies.

4 weeks and one day later there was another nest but we thought it was for the babies she already had, it turned out there were another 6 babies (obviously hadnt taken him out in time) so I rang the vets and they told me take the 4 babies out, I did and they are now kept in the house, although 1 has been rehomed as a house bun. We still have the other 3 and are keeping the these 3, they are all girls (hopefully).

The six babies are now coming up for 4 weeks and are all great and binkying about, they all get on together - except for the dad of course. He went into the vets on Monday to be neutered so we're now waiting for that to take effect before he mixes again.

Unless they've had veg before I would hold off with it till they are 3 or 4 months old too - that includes grass. This is the prime age for them dying of stomach upsets from new foods, so it's better to play it safe - what they haven't had they won't miss, and if you introduce veg carefully and gradually when they are older, they should enjoy many years of munching. They only want a mouthful at first, gradually increased over 2 weeks if it doesn't upset their tums - and only try one new veg at a time, grass included.

Back