• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elderly bunny

animus

Mama Doe
My sister has a gorgeous loppy called Nutmeg, she's getting on a bit now and my sis is worrying.
She's always had a runny nose which has never seemed to be a problem, she has suspected arthiritus, she can't or doesn't want to clean her bottom so gets messy down there and she's had to have her front teeth removed.
The vet says she's just getting old but there is a new problem developing, her back legs are failing her, she can't jump or walk properly, it's like her legs don't work.
Today, she was walking across sawdust when her legs gave way, she couldn't right herself :cry: my sis had to sit her up again, she's ok on the bare hutch floor though, she stumbles but can get herself back up

Is there anything that can be done to help her?
Many thanks in advance

Oh bless her. Sorry can't help and to me it sounds like old age is taking its toll on her. Poor girl

Is she on any treatment for her arthritis? An anti-inflammatory like Metacam would help as would some gentle physio on her lower spine/hind legs.

Janex

How old is 'elderly'? I know that sounds silly but some vets call elderly what many of us think of as middle age - and that would affect what advicee would be given.
As well as metacam and something like accupuncture (if you have a trained vet) I would also think of treatment for EC which must be suspected with legs giving way - is she also loosing weight?

My poor old Sh*tty used to fall over, her back legs went really wobbly :(

Ditto what Jane has said re. anti-inflammatories

Also what about trying a glucosamine/chondritin supplement? Snowy has found one which worked for one of her buns.

She's around 5 years, think she's a dwarf lop.
She's not on any medication but the vet gave her a shot of steroids 2 weeks ago.
Will metacam ease the pain or make her joints more supple?

Hmm, 5 years isn't old for a bun, and she shouldn't be showing signs of old age yet...I'd say get her to a good vet, she may have an injury or be ill :(

I would think e-c too - 5yrs old isn't elderly - my Benny is nearly that and he's like a spring chicken still. I guess if a rabbit has e-c then their ageing immune system might sucumb to it more as they get older, or if they are not in the best of health for other reasons - the parasite can get a hold more easily maybe? 6 weeks panacur probably wouldn't do her any harm, and if it is e-c it will stop it advancing, while other problems are investigated

Do you know of a website where I can get more info about ec?
My sis would like more info and I'm no expert!

yeh i agree 5 not really old i have a 10year old they can live to 14 too.... well there are several things i would think to try
metacam is a pain relief drug and anti inflamitrys would probly help,if athritus is cause, also ed i would treat for by giving pannaccur(sp?) paste in case it is that and baytril. Then you could also giev tomato for vitimin e defficiency and something for vit c and potassium i forget what tho as i think they too can cause back legs to give way. runny nose could be snuffles/ec related. are her lungs clear? also i would try and make sure she is not overweight as this could be affecting her. i would try swopping to a more rabbit savvy vet what area are you maybe one of us can reccomend someone?

If the vet is saying that a 5 year old rabbit is elderly then I am afraid to say that you need to find a new vet urgently. 5 is the equivalent of about human 40-50 and I suspect very strongly that the rabbit has EC or an injury and may not have arthritis at all.
If you post where abouts you are - or start a fresh thread with it in the title maybe someone will know of a rabbit savvy vet in your area.

Back