• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed Insulation?

Hi there :wave:

I have 8 piggys currently just living on the floor of the shed. I am going to be adding a couple of shelved areas and having a run attached rather than carrying them all everyday. I'm also changing the window to an opening one and making a stable door for ventilation.

I then had the bright idea of insulation and figured I need to do that first. I just dont have a clue where to start, or more importantly what to use? I have seen some foam type stuff with a silver backing, would that be suitable?

I have always used the silver backed bubble wrap type. However, some bunnies think that there isn't anything more fun than to rip it off the walls. Piggies may do the same if you are thinking about doing it on the walls.

I have it on the roof and where it's on the walls, I have double skinned it with a layer of ply wood to prevent nibbling and make it easier to clean.

I bought mine from Wickes (about £13.00 a roll) but Screwfix do the same type of thing.

Have fun!

This is what we used. It was just the right thickness to fit flush with the shed uprights. Over the last few days it has kept the shed lovely and cool so am really pleased we went to the expense of fitting it.

Morecladding.jpg
Claldding.jpg

We bought ours from Travis Perkins but I guess any builders merchants will sell it.

I have always used the silver backed bubble wrap type. However, some bunnies think that there isn't anything more fun than to rip it off the walls. Piggies may do the same if you are thinking about doing it on the walls.

I have it on the roof and where it's on the walls, I have double skinned it with a layer of ply wood to prevent nibbling and make it easier to clean.

I bought mine from Wickes (about £13.00 a roll) but Screwfix do the same type of thing.

Have fun!

I think that probably what I was looking at as I was in Wickes when I had this brainwave!! Is it keeping your shed cool? Was gonna do the ply wood lining thing too as they have already chewed some of the shed. They have only been in there about 2 months!!

we've used polystyrene and boarded over with ply wood or you could use kingspan, but it's more expensive.

I think that probably what I was looking at as I was in Wickes when I had this brainwave!! Is it keeping your shed cool? Was gonna do the ply wood lining thing too as they have already chewed some of the shed. They have only been in there about 2 months!!

I'd say it makes a very big difference to be honest. I have it in all of my hutches on the roof too and it really keeps it a lot cooler. I don't think my bunnies would have got through the winter as well either with out it.

I have to say that if I had only been doing one shed, I might have gone for the stuff that Xtratherm stuff as I might have been able to afford the extra expense, but I have had to do 8 lots of accommodation so it was a no go.

Happy lining!:D

Back