• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where to buy Science Selective pellets?

Maxy123

Young Bun
:wave: I want to switch from the PaH pellets to SS but i'm not sure where to get them. I've tried the Hay Experts but they are £15 for a 10KG bag and postage&packing is a lot.

petplanet.co.uk used to sell the 10kg bags. P&P was £3.99 not sure what the bags cost.

SS are not cheap I'm afraid.

Some pet shops/farms sell them. Could you order them from your vet, then you don'g have to pay P&P (I do that with my Oxbow ones)

I buy mine from my local farm shop (they ordered it in because so many people asked for it).

It is normally about £16 a bag and I understand that it has gone up recently because of the world crop price rises so you may not find it much cheaper elsewhere - but of course you won't have to pay P&P.

Where are you based? Maybe someone can point you directly to a supplier near to you.

Good luck with your search

I think they are fairly easy to get hold of :) SS are the only pellets sold in every single pet shop here :lol: x

Also ask your vet, mine sell rabbit food including Science Selective x

sorry to always say this but my local wilko has started selling them and soooo much cheaper than the petshop or the vets!!!

I have to order them off the internet, so Im always looking at £20 for a 10 kg bag (thats including delivery of course)

I used a site called FEEDEM the other day, really fast delivery!

Science Selective

Hi there. Only joined today, but my son is a vet nurse and in one of his journals there was an article on diets and although I fed my rabbits selective, apparently the research found that Excel is a better diet, so I have switched to that. Pets at Home sell that, so it is easy to buy.

I buy mine from my local farm shop (they ordered it in because so many people asked for it).

It is normally about £16 a bag and I understand that it has gone up recently because of the world crop price rises so you may not find it much cheaper elsewhere - but of course you won't have to pay P&P.

Where are you based? Maybe someone can point you directly to a supplier near to you.

Good luck with your search

North London :) I wasn't sure which pellets to get but SS seems to get good reviews. I'm open to suggestions :D

Hi there. Only joined today, but my son is a vet nurse and in one of his journals there was an article on diets and although I fed my rabbits selective, apparently the research found that Excel is a better diet, so I have switched to that. Pets at Home sell that, so it is easy to buy.

Sorry but I don't really agree. Not sure how research can say it's a better diet (am prepared to listen/read up about it though). Most of the bunnies that I have seen on Excel had a tendency to be a bit overweight (although that could be down to the amount given) have a darker, wetter poo with less fibre in the finished 'article'.

If there were any bunnies in the rescue that came in with this problem and were on Excel we normally changed them over to Science and the problem was generally sorted out. I believe I am right in saying that there is more 'oil' in Excel. I only feed a very small amount of pelleted food (Science) and it seems to suit my bunnies very well. I have however, started giving them all a few Allen and Page pellets mixed in as this has an even higher fibre content.

This seems to be suiting them very well and I have had no uneaten caecal poos since doing this.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with Excel but I would only ever use it as a treat and never as a main food. When I was caring for a foster bunny who had a big weight loss, she was put on Excel in order to get her to put on weight and this seemed to work for her for a while. I guess as with everything, it entirely depends on the bunny concerned.

I've heard umpteen stories on this forum about excel causing some rabbits to produce excess caecal poops - usually changing to a different brand sorts the problem out for them :)

Hi I have been feeding my 3 rabbits on Supa Rabbit Excel Junior and dwarf since they where born as i was told that it was the best food for them!

But i have one rabbit who doesnt eat hay so i was wondering if switching from excel to SS is better as SS has more fiber than the excel does!

Can anyone help me at all!

I might as my vet for advice on this as well:wave::D

Back