• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is girl humping normal??

siddles

Young Bun
I have a year old female and approx 14 week old female and the last couple of days i have noticed that the younger one is really pestering Twitchy (the eldest). Like virtually glued to her side and this morning when i put them in their run before i came to work i noticed Pepper (youngest) trying to hump Twitchy. I know it is spring and all that but is this normal behaviour in female bunnies? I have separated them today cos i thought Twitchy might get a bit aggressive if Pepper was being a pest and i am not around to keep an eye on them. Please help.

It's quite normal.

Even though all of our bunnies are neutered they still hump each other girls/boys boys/boys boys/girls.

I wouldn't worry too much but do keep an eye out. I have a pair of brothers who hump each other but never fight about it. They do however chase each other and get quite bitey when it's about food!:(

Thank you for the reply. Is it just the time of year or will she try and mount poor Twitch all year? Twitch is soooo laid back and such a darling i dont want her upset. :( And did i do the right thing by separating them today? Pepper is back in the hutch and Twitch is in the run.

Is your older female neutered and are you planning to spey your new girl when she is old enough?

Also, though it's quite normal for females to mount, are you 100% sure she is female?

Charlie keeps humping her sister but she doesn't seem to bother just moves away, they will be getting spayed in the next wee while so hopefully that will help.They both have great personalities which i guess helps if your being humped all the time :oops::lol:.Hope she doesn't try it with my dog Star she will die of shock!!!:shock:

I wouldn't worry, my girls are over a year old (and neuteured) and 1 humps the other one whenever she sees me :shock: :roll: :lol:

Hi Sooz, No neither of them is neutured. And yes def sure Pepper is a female as I got her as a bunny friend for Twitch as a 'boy' and kept her/him in a separate cage until i could get her/him done but just to be on the safe side i took her to the vets 4 days after i got her and was told she was def a she - no bits!! And I got her checked because Twitchy was a boy for 9 months until i took her to the vet for a free bunny health check and again was told she was not a 'he'! Will spaying them stop that then???

We have an eight yr old female and a 2 yr old neutered male and the female humps the male more that visa versa. She has been ill with a stomach upset and we were unsure that she'd survive, but last night she proved that she was back to full health again. It started with her humping the boy rabbit, he ran around trying to shake her off, it was a bit like a cowboy ridding a bull. When he shook her off he then chased her around trying to bite her.
Once you've kept rabbits in your lounge, you'll be tempted to sell the TV, they are v entertaining.

Yep normal!:lol:

My two hump each other only when i am around so either i am giving off some rabbity hormones or they just get excited i dont know... They also hump and chase each other around when i am not quick enough with their food...

Spaying may decrease the risk of them fighting as the 14 week old grows up as there wont be as many hormones... I would get both of them done at the same time...

My two have been together since they were born and apart from the odd grumble and humping they have been fine but i am still getting them spayed...

Hi Sooz, No neither of them is neutured. And yes def sure Pepper is a female as I got her as a bunny friend for Twitch as a 'boy' and kept her/him in a separate cage until i could get her/him done but just to be on the safe side i took her to the vets 4 days after i got her and was told she was def a she - no bits!! And I got her checked because Twitchy was a boy for 9 months until i took her to the vet for a free bunny health check and again was told she was not a 'he'! Will spaying them stop that then???

It wont stop it completey as its a dominence thing too but it will certainly help. My does have been much more hormonal than my bucks and you usually have to wait longer to ge them done. Dont seperate them unless they start fighting, if that happens seperate them but so they can see eachother otherwise they will loose their bond. Take them together to the vets when each of them is due to be done, otherwise again they will fight after being seperated, vets make them smell of antiseptic! :rolleyes:

Update on the humping doe!!

Well what a day!!! Got home from work and going to my parents and thought would let the bunny girls out and have a run of the garden. Yup fine at first then Pepper starts chasing poor Twitchy round the garden then started humping her back end, and then to hysterical amusement of my eldest son, started humping poor Twitchy's face. :lol: Twitch did not take kindly to this and did start kicking out at Peps so Twitchy is in her hutch tonight and i have put Pepper in their huge (8ft long!) run (it is like a cage as has a covered sleeping quarter at one end). I have put the run right next to the hutch so they can see one another until i cover them over tonight.

Couple more questions though:

1/ Is Pepper in season as looked at her back end and she had blood there?

2/ If she is in season how long will it last?

3/ Why the hell isnt Twitchy doing what Pepper is doing? Very confused :lol:

Back