• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Doesn't seem right

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
Smudge doesn't seem right this morning. Nothing I can put my finger on though. He hasn't pooed or used his litter tray overnight, but then he was in his run all day for the first time yesterday and had the run of the garden till 10:00 pm where he did LOADS! He nibbles all day but hasn't eaten his pellets. He seems scared? He sort of hunched down ears back when I approached him on the garden this morning, but then I found he was doing loads of poo again. :oops: Maybe he's just having an off day. He's 11 weeks. Roughly! Nothing frightened him overnight cos he was in his hutch in the shed.

If he is scrunched up he could well be in pain...also if he hasnt pooed then his guts may have stopped moving. I would get him to the vets x

my rabbits prefer to toilet outside their hutch if possible, so maybe he just was waiting to go out again - but if he's only 11wks old and had a full day on grass it's more likely he's eaten too much rich spring grass, in which case he will need a lot of skilled care, so I would advise getting him to the vets if he continues to look uncomfortable for another couple of hours - don't leave it longer.

You have already put your finger on it....he isn't toileting and he looks to be in pain.

Take him to the vets asap as it could be the start of GI Stasis or even bloat.

I lost a bun to bloat. He was 12 weeks old, i got him to the vet but thought that was enough. I cant help thinking that he would still be here if i nursed him :cry:

any news? I hope you got him to the vets, i lost a bunny recently due to suspected stasis. and i was devastated. she was 11 months.

He has pooed and is nibbling again. I rushed home at break time (I work in a school) to see to him, and decided to put him in his hutch but put the hutch in outside in the shade. He was looking better tonight. Thought when I got home from school I'd put him back in his run. He just hid under the wooden hide that I put in there. SO I out him on hte garden where he came more to life. He is pooing lots now and eating, but still seems strange. Perhaps it's the heat? I can't take him to the vet yet. Tomorrow I have to look after 2 boys while their mum is at a funeral and one of them is disabled and can't be left. I don't drive and am alone with them till hubby gets home at 7:30!

It does sound like he had a bout of Stasis. Glad to hear he is eating and pooing again. I suggest you monitor him very closely, Stasis can be fatal within hours if bunny doesn't eat or poo. However as it's normally a symptom of another issue it would be wise to get him looked at asap even if he "seems" normal again.

Hope he is ok, sending vibes to the little fella :)

Back