• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Neutering

badger

Young Bun
Hi

If anyone has seen my previous posts you will see that we have had 2 unexpected litters.

Well dad went in to the vets yesterday (Monday) to be neutered, he went in at 9am and I picked him up at 1.30pm. Since he has been home he has hardly eaten anything. I have given him his normal food (junior excel), a carrot, lettuce and some broccoli. He has nibbled a bit of lettuce but not the stalk, hardly any pellets at all but he has been drinking a little water.

He has done some poos and wees.

Is this normal? I am getting a bit worried. He is a lot quieter than normal, he goes back for a post op check next Thursday, 10 days after the op.

What does anyone think? Will he be OK and is he showing "normal" signs?

Also, he wont come anywhere near me when I go to the hutch calling him.

He'll still be feeling the effects of the GA so will be a bit too sleepy to want to really eat.

You didn't say whether he has some hay, he does need some and it may be that all he wants at the moment is hay.

When Nyx got castrated he slept all evening & night when we got him home. He was a little perkier at breakfast time & he was fine by tea-time the next day.

Not coming when you call him...well, you did just take him to get his 'nads pulled out; and also it's the GA after-effects thing again...too sleepy to be bothered.

Hi

yes, while he was at the vets yesterday we cleaned the hutch all out, put him a new cardboard box in (he loves them) and filled the hutch with hay, and his litter tray. The whole of the hutch is hay and it seemed that all the hay was still there this morning and I didnt have to replace any.

hubby keeps saying, well you'd feel like that if they did that to you, hopefully its just me over reacting, I was a bit nervous about the operation anyway when they gave me the paperwork that said its dangerous for small rabbits, etc.

He just seems a bit withdrawn, I've not seen him sleep at all, just staying at the back of the hutch, its really deep aswell - a home made one, and it makes it really hard to get hold of him.

I'll see how he goes tomorrow, the vet said to make sure he was pooing and weeing, which he is and it looks normal when I cleaned him out today, but not as much as normal.

he'll probably be feeling a little grumpy and tender, i'm sure he'll perk up soon. my little monster was the same and i was so paranoid and became a little obsessed about his bowel movements! :lol::lol: the lettuce you're offering him, it is dark leafed lettuce isn't it?

As everyone has said, hes probably just feeling abit off but keep him tempted.

Personally I don't feed lettuce as it has no nutritional value (same in humans) and will just fill them up and discourage hay eating.

x

As everyone has said, hes probably just feeling abit off but keep him tempted.

Personally I don't feed lettuce as it has no nutritional value (same in humans) and will just fill them up and discourage hay eating.

x

Romaine's good for them though, it's iceberg that's all/mostly water.

Back