• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thin rabbit

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
My rabbit, Smudge is 11 weeks old and although the vet said he is gaining weight, he feels VERY bony to me. How heavy should he be? He is a Rex. Not sure if normal or mini. I think a mini.

He is eating grass all day, doesn't want many pellets now that he is doing that, doesn't drink a lot but poos LOADS and they are normal. He feels like his bones are very prominent. Any idea if this is normal?

:wave:has he been to the vets for a health check - my vets (companion care at pets at home) do free checks for new pets?

ignore me - just seen that you said the 'vet said'. Did the vet check his teeth etc? does he have access to lots of hay?

My Mini rexes weighed 1.6( female) and 1.9) male at a checkup when they were just over 10 wks. Did your vet weight them?? Mine are 13 weeks today and each are just over 2.2 pounds. Hope this helps! They were a little bony when we got them but fattened right up...........not fat though.....They eats tons of hay but not as many pellets only a very small handful , if that, each day. Some spring greens each evening too..........

Yep, I'll post a piccy or tow in a minute. The vet tried to check his teeth and said she thought they were ok but the rabbit didn't like have his mouth opened! He's good with injections and everything but touch his mouth and he'll struggle for all he's worth - hence my thread about the worming stuff. :lol: (By the way - the grape didn't work!)

He's access to loads of hay, but he just grases on the grass.

Here he is:
Smudgestandingupwiththerunofthegard.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, I'll post a piccy or tow in a minute. The vet tried to check his teeth and said she thought they were ok but the rabbit didn't like have his mouth opened! He's good with injections and everything but touch his mouth and he'll struggle for all he's worth - hence my thread about the worming stuff. :lol: (By the way - the grape didn't work!)

He's access to loads of hay, but he just grases on the grass.

Here he is:
Smudgestandingupwiththerunofthegard.jpg

He looks fine to me :)
Just weigh him once a week to make sure he is gaining a little.

Janex

Back