• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

emergancy vets

gizmo

Mama Doe
OMG they are so expensive:shock:
i went home at the weekend and my poor spirits eyes had gotten really bad, thought he was genna have to be put to sleep poor little baby. luckly i had my friends round so they gave me a lift to the vet.
i paied £170!!!!!
they cleaned him up gave me some eye cream and that was all. the vet didnt even know what was wrong with him and was flicking through a rabbit health book trying to find out what it was, even though i knew what what was wrong with him and and i told the vet as well.
hes always had a problem with his tear ducts but they have really started to get bad. while iv been away he ended up with an infection.
is that a normal price for something like this at an emergancy vet?

My vets doesn't do it's own out of hours cover, they farm it out to VetsNow (10 miles away, in a PDSA centre, in an area of, ahem, disrepute). When Smokey had GI Stasis at 9.30pm on a Monday night in the middle of winter, I took her over and it cost me £70 before they did anything:shock:! The final bill was about £150.

I think it's terrible, vets wonder why people leave their animals overnight to 'see how they are in the morning', hardly surprising at that price.

When I lost Daisy I spent £50 on a taxi to the emergency vets (which is MILES away, and it's not like I live in an under populated area, it's Manchester for crying out loud!!) and it would have been £50 for a consultation. £100 before anything has even happened, it's ridiculous!!

I would have paid it in a heartbeat if she'd made it there :cry::cry::cry:, but it's total robbery.

My mum had to take one of the dogs the other night at 11pm. It was £75 emergency fee, £25 for consultation and then £60 for the drugs :shock:
Thats £100 before they even treated her!

Last time i went to the emergency vet, which again is miles away, one of my elderly bunnies was fitting. When we got there the vet ( which looked like a teenager) said it was probably floppy rabbit syndrome and if she was still alive in the morning to have her pts by my own vet. He then charged me £90 for that piece of advice.

By the time we got home she had started to recover and went on to live another year.

Needless to say I do try to keep my bunnies comfortable over night until they can see my own vet in the morning.

Gah :shock:
Thats ridiculous! I've used mine twice, one sunday afternoon when Rory had a claw hanging off and was bleeding i was too scared to hurt him :oops:
My vets have a few branches and one is at the head vets house so i took him there and just £5 to fix his nail.
Second time Rory again :roll: just knew he wasn't right one Saturday evening, this time the vet came to my local surgery just for us and only got charged about £10 for meds :shock: no call out fee or anything

my vets bell came to £350 when alvin had stasis and had to stay over night... it was worth every penny and they filled the claim form for petplan free of charge too and quicker than my own vets... i was really impressed with the vet on duty too...
aside from scary costs (i would also charge a fortune to work anti-social hours) i was really really impressed with vetsnow... but i guess getting the money back takes the egde off the cost anyhows :lol::lol::lol:

I've had to ring the emergency vets via our normal practice twice. Their policy is to get the vet to ring you straight back and discuss whats wrong over the phone. Following advice given over the phone I was able to keep bunny comfortable until normal hours the next morning, otherwise it would have been £100 before treatment.

Of course if it was a serious emergency they would have treated straight away, luckily i live only 10 mins away.

I have had to use emergency vet, price varies from £40 after 7pm and Christmas day at 7pm it was £80 (I think I was over charged as vet was not sure what he was doing on computer and the vet I saw following night said it was wrong and didn't charge me for an X-ray to balance it out). The previous Christmas day (yes, my buns don't do it in halves) it was £50 consultation plus operating fees.

Medication fees are very reasonable, normally a couple of quid for baytril etc.

Anyway, they would be near enough for you to travel to if yours are that expensive (£170!!). It is Chester Gates which is about 5-10 mins from Cheshire Oaks.

Our VetsNow is £98 for the consultation and some people report being forced to pay it UP FRONT before seeing a vet to ensure they will pay :shock::shock::shock:

There has been a huge outcry in Sheffield aimed at avoiding vets who use this service.

Before our vets switched to VetsNow and had their own out of hours service you could have a phone consultation to see if it as necessary to see the vets that day or if it could wait until the practice opened with an appointment first thing. The call out then was £50.

we almost lost shauny few months ago now, and he had to be taken to the emergency vets (who was brill, lucky it was my rabbit savvy vet on call:).
he also had gastric s, and needed an over night stay that with meds and the stuff they did for him while he was there came to bout £400. but thank god for petplan they paid the bill straight to the vet, we only paid the excess of £60. x

Back