• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding advice please!!

lou0504

Warren Scout
Hi all i have a lady interested in giving my baby bella a home, she as posted a question on here with not much response, hoping you can help, i bonded my two but would not feel experienced enough to do this with someone elses rabbit, and the lady has no experience in bonding either, i believe her boy is 12 months old and castrated, and a very gentle boy, i have a 8 week old lonely baby girl , will this age difference be an issue? also i think the lady had a response to wait until she has been neutered, does this mean she would have to be on her own until then, are babies not bonded with older rabbits, and if so will it cause problems? any advice on this would be greatly appreciated :D

Bonding baby rabbit

Hi there, :wave: I posted a couple of weeks ago with nearly the exact same query. My 3 year old male rabbit, also a sweet gentle old thing, was castrated at Christmas ( poor thing ) and has recently been introduced to our new 12 week old female. We kept them apart and they seemed to like each other, no aggression shown at all on their few supervised close encounters. Then low and behold, she managed a great escape INTO his cage, and it's been brilliant. The envitable chasing round occured for a short while, but she had plenty of places to duck in & out of to keep him at bay. The novelty soon wore off and they are as happy as larry. So good luck and try not to worry nature will take it's course. Linda

bella

hiya, thanks 4 the advice, yes i would, as wouldnt want the lady to be stuck if it didnt work out, but also wouldnt want poor bella keep going from 2 home, so were being sure on advice 1st, but i suppose theres a chance wherever she goes it may not work out isnt there. x

Yeah I would say the biggest risk would be if they were bonded now, she would then become hormomal before she was old enough to be spayed, which might cause problems. But you are right, and wherever she goes there is a risk it may not work out? Where abouts are you?

Last edited:
When I bonded Bluebell with Willow she was about 13 weeks whilst he was about a year. I didn't have her spayed till later and didn't have any problems doing it this way. As it tends to be the females who are territorial about their hutches it was relatively easy to introduce her into his space rather than the other way around.

bella

thanks guys, my vet advised (although my vets not great) to have her spayed around 5-6 months and catching her before she reaches exual maturity, although i lost my rabbit when i was younger through neutering operation, so my girl frenchie i have now, bonded with my castrated boy is fine, and she hasnt been neutered, i know its best for her i get her done and im looking into it, but shes fine no hormone probs, (unlike me) lol:D

Bella

Hi sorry louise and gus, missed your post im in northamptonshire, its getting a bit of a nightmare now, as im paranoid about my frenchie boy getting to her hutch as yesterday he got through my temporary fence i put up and nearly hurt himself scratching at it, so im in and out the garden like a yoyo! infact ive been out there nearly all day, as bella needed some time in her run. Why do you think she may become hormonal before she gets spayed? thanks 4 ur help also :) x

Thanks for starting this thread :)

I have been discussing it with my O/H and we are split on our decision... I am worried she will be hormonal due to not having been neutered, and the bonding is not successful, we are still weighing up the pros and cons, I will be keeping an eye on the tips though :)

Hi sorry louise and gus, missed your post im in northamptonshire, its getting a bit of a nightmare now, as im paranoid about my frenchie boy getting to her hutch as yesterday he got through my temporary fence i put up and nearly hurt himself scratching at it, so im in and out the garden like a yoyo! infact ive been out there nearly all day, as bella needed some time in her run. Why do you think she may become hormonal before she gets spayed? thanks 4 ur help also :) x

Well hormones can kick in from about 10-12 weeks, and if she's not spayed until 6 months (although I think some vets will do it earlier?) that could leave 2 months of an hormonal bunny, which could cause problems? Obviously that is a bit of a what if as I'm sure lots of buns never get to that hormonal stage before being spayed, but worth considering? It would be upsetting for all if they bonded then fell out after a few months once the hormones kicked in?

bella

ok thanks, yes i spoke to another vet who said hed neuter from 4 months so guess all vets are different, thanks anyway :)

bella

yes thanks guys for all the help, if this doesnt prove to be a good idea for princess carly, pls bare bella in mind in the rabbits in need section xx

Back