• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spinach and Thumping

jane28

Alpha Buck
Thought i would put both of these into one thread...

Now baby spinach... is it ok to feed buns... I gave Smokey a couple of leaves 2 days ago and she was fine until the next day when i found a few uneaten poo's around the place and her poo was a bit sweet smelling... It seems to have stopped now but could the spinach had too much iron or fibre in it for her? They were very small leaves and only a couple...

Another thing... Does anyone elses buns thump for no reason? I have been staying up a bit later and leaving the window open due to the heat... At about 1am i hear thumping from the hutch (i can see it from the living room window)... i cant see anything moving... I go quietly outside and nothing... Nothing in the hutch, nothing in the garden or escaping from the garden (nothing when i looked out the window either) and when i go out to them they pop out unfazed and looking for food:roll: so they are not stressed about anything... this has happened twice now and everytime nothing... They are getting stranger by the day...:lol:

spinach is a little and not very often veg because it contain oxalic acid which is a toxin & can build up if you feed to much. Because it's a bit watery as well it can cause dogy tums so so lay off for a bit and maybe try again in a few weeks with just one leaf. If he has the same reaction you know it was the spinach that caused it.

she might be thumping because she's seen a fox or a cat or even just a branch moving. I don't have outdoor buns so I don't know how you stop that.

Hi, Jane not sure about the spinach as I have never fed it to my buns.

With regard to the thumping my bun Honey quite often thumps in the middle of the night as well. Her hutch is covered up at night. Like you I often go out in the garden when I hear her but have never seen anyhing in the garden that she may be upset by. She also thumps in the daytime sometimes as well. I do not know what you can do to stop them doing it though :roll:

She also shows her displeasure by thumping as well, when I take her to vet if there are dogs in waiting room she thumps. Always after vet has examined her she will thump as she goes back into her carrier. She will also thump after I have finished checking her over if I turn her over to look at her tummy! On a couple of occasions I have left her in the vets for the day and she will sit and thump all day long according to the nurses. They tell me she is a stroppy bun and has an attitude :lol::lol: but I love her!

Thanks for that... I think i will stay away from Spinach for a good while...:shock: The state of their pen afterwards was too much for me...:lol:
Mine are covered up as well and i am sure it is Smokey because she is quite like Honey as she has an attitude too...
I hope she doesnt start doing it just to get me outside now...:roll:

Oh no. I thought spinach was safe and he's had quite a bit recently. That might be why he's heading towards gut stasis this morning :( He's trying to eat/poo/play but you can see he's not happy. We may be off to the vets soon if he doesnt improve.

Back