• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hay Allergy Help Needed Please!!!!

billysmom

Mama Doe
:wave:HI IM ASKING THESE QUESTIONS ON BEHALF OF A FRIENDS FRIEND, SOUNDS COMPLICATED:lol: ONLY SHE HAS A 2YR NETHERLAND DWARF, WHO HAS CONSTANTLY RUNNY EYES.THE VET HAS CHECKED TEETH, FLUSHED EYE DUCTS BUT HAD PROBLEMS HAS DUCTS SO TINY.SHES HEALTHY ETC BUT NOW THE VETS SAYING SHE HAS AN ALLERGY.SHE KEEPS HER IN A HUTCH IN A GARAGE, DUST FREE SHAVINGS AND PETS AT HOME TIMOTHY HAY.HAS ANYONE PLEASE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON CHANGING TO OTHER SUITABLE PRODUCTS PLEASE.IVE NOT ENCOUNTERED THIS SO OFFERED TO ASK YOU GOOD PEOPLE.THANKYOU.:D

Hello

I dont think tooth problems can be completely ruled out without the Bun having a skull Xray. This would show the condition of the tooth roots .
Elongated tooth roots can cause both runny eyes and a nasal discharge. As she is a breed prone to this problem ( due to the shape of the Nethie skull) I would get your friend's friend to discuss having the Bun Xrayed.

I would advise that the Bun is bedded on shredded paper and dust-extracted hay rather than any form of woodshavings. If the Bun's problem does turn out to be an allergy then an antihistimine syrup like Benadryl may be useful. This too needs to be discussed with the Vet before giving Benadryl to the Bunny.

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/benadryl.html

Janex :)

:wave:hi thankyou all, as far as i know smokey comes into the house after tea every night, i did say that for them to rule out her teeth she,d need an xray, but i dont think this has been offered.i will ring her and advise her what you all have explained, once again thankyou.

I think as other have said, check teeth first then look at bedding.

I don't think the woodshavings would be doing her much good if she is kept in an enclosed space like a hutch in a garage. I would try megazorb or paper based bedding.

:) just about to ring her, must admit i dont use shavings at all, i use shredded paper for outside bun and poppy has half blankets and half paper. ive heard of megazorb but have never seen it for sale. i really think it is her teeth as this as been going on for quite a time, and after billy i know too well that lops and nethies can have these problems, and when ive raised it with her she,s convinced its an allergy.Once again, thankyou .

Hey my o/h and I actually developped an allergy to the dust from the the woodshavings we were using before, and the bunny had a runny eye a couple of times too. We're now buying Carefresh - Dustfree and it;s brilliant! A little more pricey but it stays fresh longer too. Also, for runny eyes, I know you need to make sure the bunny isn;t standing in drafts...
Good luck!

Back